INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New user questions.  (Read 1102 times)

galtjk

• Recent member
New user questions.
« on: November 17, 2018, 01:14:37 pm »

I have music in both flac and lossless.
To use an ipod I must convert all flac to lossless.
I now have a pioneer player that will play both flac and lossless and it has 512 gigs of storage.
I have been using Itunes to play and export songs to an ipod.

With Itunes I can import an entire album and select only the songs I wish to play and export with a check mark.

Is anything like this available in JRiver so I can automatically export and compress ( or not compress ) all selected songs?

I have around 60000 songs, almost all complete albums.

I listen at home with a SET tube amp so quality matters.
I use the pioneer or ipod while riding my motorcycle so quality is not so important.

I am importing by album so I can check and see how the tags are coming across.

kr4

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: New user questions.
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2018, 05:33:48 pm »

I have music in both flac and lossless.
FLAC is lossless.
Kal Rubinson
"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

amandalishus

• Recent member
  • Experienced MC user masquerading as novice.
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2018, 06:04:13 pm »

FLAC is lossless.
I suspect that Apple Lossless (ALAC compression) is what was meant, since Apple prefers to have their own version of everything.

For galtjunk: I'm pretty sure the answer to all of your questions is yes. I'm going to poke around a bit to figure out exactly how, since I don't actually do any of that, but I suspect one of the real experts here will answer you before I get it all together ;)
[color="#C133FF"][size=18]Documentary aficionado. [/size][size=16]Music lover. [/size][size=14]Software developer. [/size][size=12]Transgender geek. [/size][size=10]Interested in everything. [/size][size=8]Easily distracted...[/size][/color]

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2018, 06:11:57 pm »

No real experts here Amandalishus, but an idea is to;

Start here: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Sync_Handheld

Then search the Wiki for more information on Handhelds, Conversion, and Syncing.
Then search the Forum for recent information on Handhelds, Conversion, and Syncing.

It is all there.

Handheld Sync is still a bit troublesome with some devices. What Pioneer Player are you actually using? Model number, please.

But generally, over to you Amandalishus. Handheld Sync and its foibles is a fun game. I think you guessed what "Lossless" meant correctly, but clarification from the OP would surely help!
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

amandalishus

• Recent member
  • Experienced MC user masquerading as novice.
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2018, 07:07:24 pm »

Ah, well, I should have thought of the Wiki... I've been unable to determine exactly how to set up the necessary conversion because I don't have a handheld to plug in and configure. It appears, however, that if you go to Tools->Options->Handheld, just plugging it in and configuring it should answer that part of the problem; the wiki makes it pretty clear that file conversion is one of the options you can configure.

I can help with the checkbox though, as I used the checkbox in iTunes myself before I moved my library to JRiver. If you go to Tools->Options->Library & Folders, there is an option called Manage Library Fields. If you click that, it will show you a list of all the fields in the database. From there, you can click the "Add New Field" button beneath the list with a name like Sync or whatever. (Note: There may already be an appropriate field for you to use, but I've customized my database so much that I have difficulty telling what the stock fields are anymore.)

To create a CheckBox field, select the Data Type as "Integer", set the Edit Type to "Check", and make the Acceptable values read "0;1". Now you have custom checkbox. Yay! What do you do with it?

Well, in any view where you have the List Style set to "Details", you can right-click on the column headers and add you field to the displayed columns. From there, you can check or uncheck to your hearts content. Alternately, any time you have a file selected you can open the Tagging pane (click Tag from the Action Window beneath the treeview), find the field, and check or uncheck there.

Finally, you'll need to create a playlist that you can select in the Handheld section of the Options screen. If you go to Playlists in the treeview and right-click it, you can choose Create Smartlist (alternately, you can hit F9). This will be pretty straightforward if you're familiar with iTunes's smart playlists, but the idea is to create one called "Stuff To Sync" or whatever and setting a Rule that says "Sync" "is" "1".

I hope that helps... and I hope the wiki helps in setting up the both the device and the conversion configuration. If not, someone smarter than me will doubtless be able to explain it. For that matter, someone smarter may follow this up with a much easier solution to this. Sorry, I'm just trying to get started answering questions around here, so I'm never quite certain I'm doing this right... or should be doing it at all ;)

[color="#C133FF"][size=18]Documentary aficionado. [/size][size=16]Music lover. [/size][size=14]Software developer. [/size][size=12]Transgender geek. [/size][size=10]Interested in everything. [/size][size=8]Easily distracted...[/size][/color]

galtjk

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2018, 12:58:10 pm »

FLAC is lossless.
Yes, but flac is not apple lossless.

galtjk

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2018, 01:00:02 pm »

I am using the Pioneer  xdp-30r.

Thank you all for your suggestions.
I will look into all of them.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2018, 04:34:47 pm »

I am using the Pioneer  xdp-30r.

It looks like that unit supports Mass Storage Mode, so MC should be able to transfer music and playlists to it easily, just like it would with a USB hard disk. Just make sure you set MC to save the files in the expected locations on the device. Its all in the options.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

galtjk

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2018, 06:53:07 am »

I added playable to the view and checked the box on the songs I wish to sync to the Pioneer device.
The smart playlist is playable is 1.
Right click on the smart playlist.
Send to drivers and devices.

Select device and click sync.

It's all good now,
Thank you
Pages: [1]   Go Up