INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Convert format, lose files  (Read 872 times)

Snarglefarg

• World Citizen
  • [your quote here]
Convert format, lose files
« on: May 29, 2003, 06:00:33 am »

I wanted to save some room on a computer where I listen to music once in a while (containing a backup of some of my collection) so I used the "Convert Format" function.  I have about 1000 files, so I let it go overnight.

In the morning, I had about 100 files to go but wanted to cancel the operation so that I could finish it later. After hitting cancel, a rather unassuming dialog stating, "Do you want to cancel the conversions that were already completed?"

I hit "Yes" which I found was a big mistake.  Hitting yes removes all the files that were converted.  Since I had the converstion set to send the original files to the recycle bin AND I have my recycle bin set for only about 300mb max, I ended up losing a majority of my music.

This dialog is VERY really dangerous, especially if you've got MC9 set to delete the files after they've been converted. You will lose your music.

I'm not quite sure why you'd want to delete every file you just converted, especially if you delete the original during the conversion.  I was expecting that cancel would say, "Are you sure you wish to cancel this operation" or something like that.

Because of its destructive nature, this dialog should be much clearer in what it is about to do, or perhaps you should change the functionality of what a cancel does when converting files. I really didn't think that it was going to delete my music.  The only thing I was sure of was that I wanted to cancel, which is why I hit "Yes."

Please look more closely at this operation.

Thanks!
Pages: [1]   Go Up