INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problem moving files  (Read 3981 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Problem moving files
« Reply #50 on: December 09, 2018, 06:48:56 am »

So, can we please just stop excluding imported files from being moved if the box is checked, to save us from I don't know what?

What would really break if you just move everything; like the box says?
Someone chooses a media file that is stored in the root directory, and accidentally bricks their machine.  Or My Documents.

Couldn't you solve your problem by importing the remaining files and moving them?

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Getting older every day
« Reply #51 on: December 09, 2018, 07:12:15 am »

Moving files that MC knows about and then potentially losing track of them has far more chances of losing some data then simply not moving a file sometimes.
The case with the explorer views is just a bug and will be fixed, don't get hung up on that.

I guess I just don't understand.  If MC knows the files exist (they are imported), and MC moves them as part of this process, how would MC "lose them", and how could that result in lost data?

Someone chooses a media file that is stored in the root directory, and accidentally bricks their machine.  Or My Documents.

Couldn't you solve your problem by importing the remaining files and moving them?

Maybe, but

1. that's pretty much their own stupidity.  You can't protect people from themselves
2. Important files required by windows to run are very unlikely to be imported (therefore protected by this system), so this wouldn't save them anyway
3. My Documents?  what about them.  If they get moved, they get moved.  won't break anything, or cause permanent damage, and if someone tries to move some documents from "My Documents", but not all of them, then checks a box that says to move all files, moving all files is exactly what should happen.  I don't see the argument against doing exactly this.
pretend this is something funny

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #52 on: December 09, 2018, 07:14:51 am »

1. that's pretty much their own stupidity.  You can't protect people from themselves
Try telling that to the person who just did it.

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #53 on: December 09, 2018, 07:17:33 am »

not hard.  "Why did you check the box to move all files?  It clearly says that's what will happen.  Sorry. Be more careful in the future."

Also, those important files would almost certainly not be imported into MC, so this system of protection would not stop it happening anyway.

Let's remember, this is almost certainly being used by someone trying to move video or audio files with sidecar files, or cover art in the same folder as the media they do want to move.  It's almost never going to be used by people trying to randomly move miscellaneous files haphazardly.  They have to physically check the box that says move ALL files.  I just don't see how that goes terribly wrong by just doing exactly what the box says it will do.  In a real life scenario, not doing what it says is much worse than doing what it says.

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #54 on: December 09, 2018, 04:15:46 pm »

Edit:
Oh I figured it out. You're using the Explorer view. When looking at such a view, MC temporarily "imports" all files shown in the view so it can get tags etc.

this is interesting.  so that i understand, can you explain what you mean by explorer view?  i assume you mean sort by location on disk...

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #55 on: December 09, 2018, 04:22:00 pm »

Under Drives and Devices.

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #56 on: December 09, 2018, 04:24:47 pm »

oh thanks Jim.  i've never used that one so that isn't my issue.  some information here has me thinking, i will try some tests on my end when i have a moment.  thanks Yaobing and Hendrick for looking into it.

Spike1000

« Reply #57 on: December 10, 2018, 02:55:16 am »

Bit harsh language; and from a from a beta tester too.  :( :-[

Spike

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #58 on: December 10, 2018, 08:53:24 am »

The following changes will be in effect in the next build:

13. Fixed: Non-imported files were not moved with selected media files even if "Move all files..." checkbox was checked on "Rename, Move, & Copy" dialog window, when the action was initiated in Explorer view.
14. Changed: Moving files with "Move all files in folder (including non-imported files)" checkbox checked will only skip moving files that are at "main database location".
15. Changed: "Move all files in folder (including non-imported files)" checkbox on "Rename, Move, & Copy" dialog window is renamed "Move all non-imported files in folder with selected media files".
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #59 on: December 10, 2018, 10:10:22 am »

14. Changed: Moving files with "Move all files in folder (including non-imported files)" checkbox checked will only skip moving files that are at "main database location".

thanks for these changes.  Can you explain what is the "main database location"?

Does that just mean 'imported into the library', or is it more specific?

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #60 on: December 10, 2018, 10:39:57 am »

I just tested, and it's working as designed.

Thanks for fixing!!!

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #61 on: December 10, 2018, 05:29:49 pm »

My new understanding of how the "Drives & Devices > Explorer" function works opens up a whole new set of workflows I can use.

I no longer need to import a movie, for example, and then fix tags and metadata. I can RIP a movie to a non-imported location, fix/update any tags I wish to, run "Get Movie & TV Info" against the file even, then when I am happy, import the file in situ and then move it, or use the RM&CF function to move it to a Auto Import watched location.

This may not seem much, but for example I could RIP movies on my Workstation, without cluttering up my local MC library (I use DVDfab to RIP directly, rather than inside MC, at the moment anyway), update all metadata and collect Cover Art etc., and maybe even additional images, trailers, or other files related to the movie, and once it is all set up, move them to the HTPC movie location using my Workstation MC installation, direct to the share drive. Now that "Move all files" works using the Explorer View, MC would move all ancillary files I add. Cool.

I'm still thinking about how I might use this functionality.

I note that there is nothing in the Wiki with regard to how the Explorer functionality works, or how it may be used. I always thought it was just an internal version of Windows Explorer. It is so much more!

Thanks for being persistent on this fix JustinChase.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #62 on: December 10, 2018, 05:47:17 pm »

thanks for these changes.  Can you explain what is the "main database location"?

Does that just mean 'imported into the library', or is it more specific?

Yes. That basically is it.  It includes audio, video, image, TV channels, documents, etc. that are imported into the library.

Other "locations" are use for other things, such as "explorer location" which you learned about in this thread, and "TV Guide location", which only holds TV guide entries.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #63 on: December 25, 2018, 08:59:43 pm »

so i had some time to play

if i leave the new files in the watched folder until auto-import picks them up naturally, the ancillary files get moved

if i drag the new files into MC for a quicker look, the files do NOT get moved

is this intentional?  even though the folder doesn't "see" images, pdf's, etc. it appears that they become "imported" when dragging. 
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up