INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Watching TV on Multiple MCs  (Read 1520 times)

tunes0710

• Junior Woodchuck
Watching TV on Multiple MCs
« on: December 03, 2018, 02:03:48 am »

Hi all,
I currently have a JRiver server running headless and serving JRiver clients in the living room and bedrooms.
The two bedrooms do not have a TV Aerial or Sky cable available, so was thinking of putting a DVB-S2 card in the headless server and connecting a sky cable up to it.

What would happen if the media centres tried using it?
i.e. Bedroom 1 uses EPG to select BBC1
Bedroom 2 selects ITV
Living room selects Channel 4

Would it change the channel for each room to the last channel selected? i.e. Bedroom 1 would change to ITV and then Channel 4?
If I wanted to support multiple machines simultaneously, would I need to install multiple tuners? or at least a tuner with multiple inputs?
Would JRiver then allow each client to use a unique input, rather than trying to use the original input to serve all clients?

Cheers :-)

bigmuscles

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Watching TV on Multiple MCs
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2018, 04:09:24 am »

Hi, unfortunately jriver is like wmc where you would need a tune per channel you are watch so in your description, you will need a min of three tunes cards for what you are trying to achieve,  (because jriver dont support,multi mux channels), (ie here in uk all our hd channels are on same mux so in jriver you will need 5 tunner cards min). where other software like mediaportal, nextpvr, (on windows os) support mutli channel mux so if you had a dual card them two can allow you to watch virtual every channel across your pc's so one card can feed all uk hd channels to 5 pc's  (ie bbc1 hd , 2, itv hd channel 4 hd etc )

if you just want this setup for live tv with jriver you need lots of cards per channel

hope this has helped

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2018, 08:29:48 am »

bigmuscles is correct.  Currently we require one tuner per channel, even for channels on the same transport.  supporting multiple channels on the same transport with one tuner is on my list of things to do.

To answer the OP's question, if you have only one tuner, then only one bedroom will be able to use it at a given moment, unless the same channel is requested.  When bedroom 1 requests a channel while living room is using a different channel, bedroom 1 will get an error saying no tuner is available.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

tunes0710

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2018, 11:29:15 am »

Many thanks for the swift response from everyone :-)
I thought it would be something like that, ie. only 1 "room" able to watch.

So technically if 2 rooms requested the same channel, that would work ok?

Currently, if I had 2 cards and they both had 2 DVB-S inputs on each (giving a total of 4), are you saying I could only utilise 1 input on each (2 different channels simultaneously), however in the future you are hoping so that all 4 inputs could be used, allowing a maximum of 4 simultaneous TV channels to be watched?

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2018, 02:26:14 pm »

Many thanks for the swift response from everyone :-)
I thought it would be something like that, ie. only 1 "room" able to watch.

So technically if 2 rooms requested the same channel, that would work ok?

Currently, if I had 2 cards and they both had 2 DVB-S inputs on each (giving a total of 4), are you saying I could only utilise 1 input on each (2 different channels simultaneously), however in the future you are hoping so that all 4 inputs could be used, allowing a maximum of 4 simultaneous TV channels to be watched?

I do not know what kind of device you have, but if it has multiple inputs, it may contain multiple tuners.  Check with the device manufacturer for info.

Each tuner can be independently accessed, even if multiple tuners are on the same device.

Yes, multiple client computers can access the same channel on the server.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2018, 03:28:14 pm »

Could I just clarify that you don't need multiple tuner cards in your Server PC. You just need multiple tuners.

For example, I only record FTA TV (no Cable, Satellite, or IPTV), but I have one PCIe tuner card that has one input cable from the aerial and four tuners on the card. I can record or watch four TV channels at once, each channel using one tuner.

The more important consideration is the type of tuners you need, and what broadcast format they support. i.e. DVB-T, DVB-S, cable, etc. You need to have a tuner of the right type available for MC to tune into a channel of a specific type.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

tunes0710

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2018, 07:38:31 am »

So for example,
https://www.tbs-technology.de/shop/DVB-S2-S-S2X-Octa-Tuner-PCIe-Satelliten-TV-Karte-TBS-6909-X
This card reads that it has 8 tuners although it only uses 4 satellite connections.

From this, would I theoretically be able to watch 8 different TV channels over 8 JRiver clients? or watch 3 different channels (on clients) and record up to 5 additional channels?
Providing the JRiver server could cope, that is....

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2018, 07:54:27 am »

That is correct, the card should allow 8 channels to be viewed or recorded at the same time.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

ErikN

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2018, 11:09:28 am »

I have also found that you will almost always wish for more tuners. If pcie space is limited, err on getting a card with more. I don't think I've ever heard someone complain about idle tuners :)

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2018, 04:20:38 pm »

Wow. That is some tuner!

As long as all your TV is via Satellite TV, although it also supports IPTV streaming, Media monitoring, and Digital content distribution.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Fangio

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2018, 03:05:28 pm »

supporting multiple channels on the same transport with one tuner is on my list of things to do.

Looking forward to this making it to the top of your list  :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up