INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Multiple Artist Albums  (Read 1396 times)

mindracing

• Galactic Citizen
  • Bike, Mind and Body are part of the same system
Multiple Artist Albums
« on: May 26, 2003, 12:23:11 am »

About 150 builds ago, when entering Mulitple Artist albums each artist would be listed seperately in the tree.

Having just ripped 6 Multiple Artist albums I notice that they are listed under Artist/Album as (Multiple Artists), which I much prefer.

What I can't figure is why the existing multiple artist albums are displayed the old way.

Help would be appreciated.

gvag

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
Re: Multiple Artist Albums
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2003, 05:52:08 pm »

Not sure but I have a view scheme that uses Album Artist (auto) instead of Artist.  It shows the multiple artist grouping, another view that uses artist does not.

So if you're referring to different schemes just right click the scheme and edit it.  I think you'll find Artist in the field list change it to Album Artist (auto).  If neither is there just add the auto field.

Hope this helps

gvag

mindracing

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2003, 12:27:16 am »

I guess I haven't explained the problem fully.

When I now rip a Compilation CD it shows in the tree under (Multiple Artist).

All my previously ripped Multiple artist CD list under artist (as per 'Flock of seagulls' in the image below).

What I can't work out is why some do and some don't. Are they tagged differently now or am I missing something simpler?

(Apologies for the poor album taste!)

Thanks for your help.

Phydeaux

• World Citizen
  • No comment... ;)
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2003, 12:47:16 am »

Hi,

I'm not sure exactly, but it may have something to do with the folders that you keep your mp3's in. Each album should be kept in the same folder, I think, to work properly. MC uses the folder to determine certain things about an album, so it does make a difference when showing in the tree. Hope it is the right difference though!

Hope that helps.
"Evil will always triumph over Good because Good is dumb." -- Spaceballs

gvag

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2003, 02:33:07 am »

Is the Album Artist field in your earlier rips empty?  The multiple artist feature won't work if there's any info in this field.

gvag

mindracing

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2003, 11:45:50 am »

Thanks for the folder tip.

It seems that the Compilation albums have been stored in one of 3 folders named: Assorted, Various and Various Artists.

The odd thing is I didn't create them. They must have been created by MC.

Secondly, the albums that show up under (Multiple Artists) are not all in one folder but spread across the 3 folders and there are albums in these folders that do not show up under (Multiple Artists).

I am at a loss. There must be a pattern but I can't find it.

Does anyone out there no how it is supposed to work?

gvag

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2003, 01:49:23 pm »

I was able to duplicate the tree structure from your screen shot in a scheme using Atrist Album (auto) and Album as the fields with no filter.

I renamed the album in two different artist's files to MULTIPLE and left Artist Album blank.  In two other files I renamed the album to TEST and copied the artist's name to the Album Artist field.  Sorry I can't do screen shots but the tree looks something like this:

[Multiple Artists]
    MULTIPLE
Test Artist1
    TEST
Test Artist2
    TEST

If you make the Artist Album field visible what does it show for the multiple-artist albums that are not not showing up under [Multiple Artists]?

mindracing

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2003, 10:33:17 pm »

Thanks Gvag,

Tha Album Artist field is blank in all cases, in fact, it's blank for all files in the libray.

NoCodeUK

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2003, 12:27:57 am »

There is an option in MC when renaming files to put them in an assorted artist folder.  If you have anything in Album Artist it uses this to create the folder, else it puts the files in a folder named 'Assorted'?  Did you rename the files using the rename files from properties tools?  If so this is when MC would have done it.  If not...

Adam
"It's called No Code because it's full of code. It's misinformation." - Eddie Vedder

gvag

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2003, 02:06:02 am »

Mindracing -

Maybe try deleting the files from the library and then re-import them.  Or moving them to another folder and doing an update library followed by an import.

Obviously they've been evolving their library creation routines maybe there's a flag in the jmd file that's not set properly.  Given how fast MC is at importing files compared to Wimp I would assume it doesn't reread files it knows about hence the weird handling of your older files.  Worth a shot?

mindracing

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2003, 03:57:40 am »

Thanks everyone.

I've moved them all into the Assorted folder and reimported them.

Now all is fine.

Thanks again for your help.
Pages: [1]   Go Up