INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: necessary rights to run media center?  (Read 3451 times)

jara

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
necessary rights to run media center?
« on: April 06, 2003, 01:13:47 am »

I have multiple users configured on the same PC.
In release notes for build 9.134 it stated that it is now ckecked wheter a user has the necessary rights to install and run Media Center. More precisely what are these necesary rights?

xen-uno

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Checking your hard disk for errors...
Re: necessary rights to run media center?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2003, 08:07:10 am »

Simply put, the user you do the initial install under needs Administrative rights (under NT/W2k/XP). This is because MC is making some low level system changes/additions (mostly for CD burning).

Rx

bspachman

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2003, 09:58:17 am »

Hmmm, that's interesting. When I installed 143 as a "PowerUser" in Win2k, nothing griped at me about having insufficient rights to install... Should I expect to see some kind of warning?

Best,
Brad

xen-uno

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2003, 10:43:25 am »

And everything works? Maybe the necessary rights have been relaxed somewhat. Still a good rule to follow.

Rx

bspachman

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2003, 05:16:36 pm »

And everything works? Maybe the necessary rights have been relaxed somewhat. Still a good rule to follow.

Well, everything doesn't work. The burner is not recognized by the PowerUser's account. It is recognized by the Administrator. However, this happens whether I install it with the Admin account or the PU account. It's also not a recent problem for me--I think it started around build 125.

It's a mystery for me. I don't know enough about Windows to really troubleshoot driver problems. I've uninstalled and reinstalled ASPI layers. I've uninstalled and reinstalled the burner's drivers. Nothing seems to help... :(

I don't remember if builds before 125 worked--I was still focused on MJ8 at the time.

Brad

jara

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2003, 03:04:42 am »

I understand you it is required with administrator rights during installation, but why do you have to be a PU to run Media Center?

xen-uno

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2003, 04:24:03 am »

You shouldn't. Once MC is installed you should be able to login as a user with guest rights (maybe an exaggeration, but plain user rights should suffice) and it should still be fully functional.

10-27

jara

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2003, 08:36:21 am »

I agree with you when you say "You shoudn't"
But the fact is that if you are a user with less priviledges than SU and you start Media Center an Information Box pops up with the text:

"Sorry, but you don't have enough rights to run the program. Please make sure you have at least Power Users rights"

This is annoying and with proper programming it should not be necessary.

To the developers: Please fix this bug. If you don't see it as a bug then what is the reason for it?

In generel I believe Media Center is excellent which is the reason why I bought it.

JorgeGVB

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2003, 06:57:22 pm »

I ran into this problem with v9.0168, so it was never resolved before.  I did install MC with the primary account with full administator rights in XP Pro.  However, the accounts with limited rights cannot access MC.  You still get the following message:

"Sorry, but you don't have enough rights to run the program. Please make sure you have at least Power Users rights"

Raistlin2000

• World Citizen
  • cross-fade-mani ac
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2003, 02:13:09 am »

OK, I allowed all users full access to  J-river-reg-keys in HKLM via regedit, very nice, now MC works even in limited users.

Just one thing: The burner is still not working, did I miss some extra reg-keys I have to free from limited rights??

please help me in solving this small problem.

thanks
Raist

GHammer

• MC Beta Team
  • Stereotypes are a real timesaver!
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2003, 04:35:01 am »

Good catch! That will make it possible for me to allow other users access to MC 9. There is no way I will allow greater than user privs for other people on my system.

"I deleted a bunch of files and now the computer won't work".

Thanks!

OK, I allowed all users full access to  J-river-reg-keys in HKLM via regedit, very nice, now MC works even in limited users.

Just one thing: The burner is still not working, did I miss some extra reg-keys I have to free from limited rights??

please help me in solving this small problem.

thanks
Raist

Raistlin2000

• World Citizen
  • cross-fade-mani ac
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2003, 08:55:32 am »

Yes, access to MC9 can be granted to limited users with modifying the registry-restrictions regarding HKLM\SW\JRiver, but what about the burner?

Which keys refer to that one?

Thanks
Raist

bspachman

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2003, 08:03:12 am »

Yes, access to MC9 can be granted to limited users with modifying the registry-restrictions regarding HKLM\SW\JRiver, but what about the burner?

Which keys refer to that one?

I had burner problems with my Win2k installation for many months... For some reason, MC9 (and other applications) require admin access rights to use CD burners. There are some hacks out there to enable the appropriate privs to use your burner. You can either:

1) Send a PM to JohnT requesting the MC9 burner fix for non-administrator burning.

2) Download & use "Nero Burn Rights" from:
http://www.nero.com/en/content/c1023694368810.html which will do the same thing

Good luck,
Brad

Raistlin2000

• World Citizen
  • cross-fade-mani ac
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2003, 09:59:57 am »

Does Nero burn rights work also with MC9 and every other software, or is it limited to Nero.

Because I don't like Nero, Record Now MAX is better, doesn't have any problems with non-admin-users & can burn filenames up to 212 characters, perfect for MP3-CDs :)

Raist

bspachman

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2003, 03:23:22 pm »

Does Nero burn rights work also with MC9 and every other software, or is it limited to Nero.

I don't know for certain. When John helped me with the problem, he said there should not be a functional difference between the 2 utilities. I took that to mean that the Nero BurnRights utility was also a "run-once-and-forget-it" application that would solve MC9's problems as well as any others.

FWIW, I used the utility that John sent me instead of Nero's.

Best,
Brad

PushiTooL

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2003, 08:12:36 am »

So what exactly do I search for in the registry to get MC9 access for all users? And what do I change when I've found it?

Cheers.

Raistlin2000

• World Citizen
  • cross-fade-mani ac
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2003, 01:00:02 pm »

1. Fire up "Regedit" via "Run" from startmenu.
2. Go to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software", right click on the whole "J .RIVER" and click on "Rights", there set normal user rights to full access.
3. Get Nero Burning Right & install it.
4. Reboot as requested.

VOILA, now every user can access MC.
If you want to start with every user from the same settings as the one where it was installed, export the "JRiver" under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software to a file when logged on in that admin-profile & re-import that file in every user.

HOPE THIS HELPS
Raist

PushiTooL

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2003, 09:04:15 pm »

Worked like a charm.  :D

Thanks a tonne Raist.

Matty.

Raistlin2000

• World Citizen
  • cross-fade-mani ac
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2003, 11:45:39 pm »

Thanks Pushi for the "Thanks" ;D

but the credit for that doesn't belong to me, I just wrote it down in one short manual, all this ideas came from this forum, so I redirect the "Thanks" to the community.

Anyway, glad to hear it works for you now.

Raist
Pages: [1]   Go Up