INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC -> DLNA album volume levelling applied as playlist  (Read 2112 times)

pssturges

• Recent member
MC -> DLNA album volume levelling applied as playlist
« on: January 06, 2019, 05:13:29 am »

Hi,

My setup is, Ubuntu box running MC24 and I play my music on my Yamaha receiver via DLNA.

I have the DLNA server in MC set up to stream everything as 24bit PCM. I also have volume levelling turned on.

When playing a mixed playlist, volume levelling seems to work very well. I've been using it for some time and have never noticed any issues.

However, I've noticed that the volume levelling when playing an album doesn't work nearly as well. For example today, I was listening to a live recording. There was a very loud rock track followed by a very quiet acoustic number with some crowd noise in between. At the transition the jump in crowd volume was very abrupt and the acoustic track played unnaturally loud.

All the tracks in my library have been fully analysed. Playing the tracks locally on the PC works as expected. I have also tested this using my Mac and found exactly the same results. Turning volume levelling off rectifies the issue, but I'd really rather not have to remember to turn it on/off as necessary.

It appears to me that MC is playing the album as a random playlist rather than an album.

Thanks for any help

pssturges

• Recent member
Re: MC -> DLNA album volume levelling applied as playlist
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2019, 02:43:31 am »

Hi, thought it might be worth giving this a bump. Still having this issue. I have attached a couple of voice memo recordings of the same track transition. One has volume levelling turned off, the other with it on. Transition happens near the end of each recording.

Thanks

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1bmReLXsOaO8TYnLtjw9o4fp58rPyQg2e

pssturges

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2020, 03:20:31 am »

No-one? Any devs got any input? Seems like a bug to me.

pssturges

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2020, 05:33:36 pm »

Have updated to MC26, the problem persists

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2020, 06:45:20 pm »

I have the DLNA server in MC set up to stream everything as 24bit PCM. I also have volume levelling turned on.

Playing the tracks locally on the PC works as expected.

There is a separate DSP Studio in the DLNA Server settings. Do you have Volume Leveling turned on there, as well as in the normal DSP Studio?

Do you only have one DLNA Server defined, and if not, have you associated the correct DLNA Server with your Yamaha Receiver?
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

pssturges

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2020, 08:36:35 pm »

Thanks very much for your reply RoderickGI. I believe the answer to all those questions is yes. Please check my settings below. I don't feel like it is a configuration issue as volume levelling works very well in mixed playlists. It just doesn't seem to recognise single albums and levels the tracks within the albums.

Thanks again

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2020, 08:59:46 pm »

Well, as per the Volume Leveling Wiki article, Playlists and Albums are handled differently. For a full Album MC should be retaining the respective volumes of the track, and the acoustic track should be quiet...

Maybe Volume Leveling doesn't work when playing to a DLNA Renderer. It is a file-based protocol, with the Renderer requesting file by file as required, once it has received instructions from the DLNA Controller. So unless the MC Server, acting as the Controller, is explicitly setting the volume level for all selected tracks, which it should be able to do, then the tracks would be played as individual tracks. Hence, like mixed Playlists, and the acoustic track would be louder as you observed.

Maybe the Yamaha just sets the volume based on the R128 tag, and MC isn't in control? Is there a setting in the Yamaha to honour or ignore R128 tags?
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

pssturges

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2020, 10:21:08 pm »

Thanks,

Yes that's pretty my understanding of how it should work. The playlist side does seem to work ie volume adjustment is happening. Problem is levelling is being applied to albums. ie I'm getting too much levelling! The albums are mostly multi disk albums. Perhaps that is confusing MC?

pssturges

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2021, 06:12:25 am »

I’m still seeing this issue. I’ve held off upgrading to MC27 because this pretty much makes MC unusable for me. Has this perhaps been resolved in 27? Would love to see this fixed
Pages: [1]   Go Up