INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DVD playback  (Read 1644 times)

Chris Shaw

• Galactic Citizen
DVD playback
« on: May 20, 2003, 02:59:56 pm »

I have been playing with DVD playback on MC for the first time and I have a couple of comments:

When I have DVD insert action set to Play, it doesn't play the DVD. It plays whatever's in my Playing Now. That seems rather counterintuitive.

Most cinephiles prefer to see foreign films in their original language, with English (or whatever) subtitles. For this, many DVD players allow you to set the default soundtrack to Original, and set the default subtitles to Auto (English). This means, if the soundtrack is English, there will be no subtitles, but otherwise it will display English subtitles.
Is this something that would be possible in MC?

Dan Da Man

• World Citizen
  • I rule da-Man.com!
Re: DVD playback
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2003, 06:02:56 pm »

Also, when popping in my Lord of the Rings: Extended Edition Disc 1 and pulling it up in MC9, I found that there were three title options to select from.  I selected the first, and it opened the main menu for the DVD.  The second and third also did the same thing.  Why have separate links to the titles?  Make it just play like it would normally do in a DVD player.

And finally, I'll look at it a bit more, but I think the resizing wasn't as nice looking in MC9 as it is in WinDVD (my only decoder).  I don't know how WinDVD does it, but it always looks nice and smooth on the edges.  MC9 looked more pixelated, imho.

Dan "da Man"

millertivo

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2003, 07:18:19 pm »

I used DVD for the first time this weekend as well.  I noticed that the chapter number doesn't change in the full screen mode unless you press pause (CTRL-P), rewind, or fast forward.  Don't know if that is bug but several times I wanted to know what chapter I was in while watching the movie and I either had to pause and start or go to the menu.  It would be nice to have that continuously displayed along the bottom of the screen.

Off topic: After years of avoiding the edited version on TNT, I finally saw "Shawshank Redemption" on the plane.

Dan Da Man

• World Citizen
  • I rule da-Man.com!
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2003, 05:53:25 am »

Off topic: After years of avoiding the edited version on TNT, I finally saw "Shawshank Redemption" on the plane.

Well, that's definitely a good thing, although you should have rented it years ago.

Dan "da Man"

DocLotus

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Retired and; Loving It!!!
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2003, 04:04:37 pm »

Other DVD problems...

- There are no basic hot key controls for things like color, brightness, hue, etc..

- Does not seem to be an associate DVD disc under Options/File Associations.  When I insert a DVD other players try to load.  Can't find any way to make MC the default DVD player.

- The DVD part of MC seems to be a work-in-progress.

MC... Latest version, 1 Mini PC, w/ Server.
TV... USA, ZIP 77036, Std view, Full screen, Not detached, Silicon Dust Guide, OTA, ATSC 1.
MC Audio... Realtek HD 7.1, MP3 Ext, Basic playback.
MC Control... Key, Mouse w/ G HUB.
Windows... 10 Pro, 64 bit, All MS updates.
Hardware... Beelink AMD GR5 Pro Mini PC, 16GB memory, 3 internal HDD's w/ 4.5 TB storage, 8 TB external storage.
1 SiliconDust HD HomeRun Connect Quatro, 1 SiliconDust HDHomeRun Flex Quatro, Amped Antenna w/ splitter.

escaflo

• Galactic Citizen
  • And the answer is.... 42!
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2003, 06:19:00 am »

I am not too sure whether any of you have this problem but when I play dvds with MC, it seem to be quite jerky. It isn't really very bad kinda jerk, but you can feel the pause in the movies and that is very irritating

I am now using Intervideo WinDvD to watch dvd and so far it seems like it is the only choice I have if I want to watch dvd jerk free.

I also did try ZoomPlayer but apparently it also have the same problem as in MC. I am guessing it is because they are both using the Intervideo DVD filter but I have no idea.

Anybody got any idea to help me out here? I want to make MC my one and only media player. :)
Don't Panic!

kiwi

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Don't worry, be happy...
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2003, 06:23:42 pm »

Does MC 9 use the Windows Media Player for its DVD component?

Pages: [1]   Go Up