INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: BKM to keep PC/NB/iPod in Sync?  (Read 1264 times)

intellirob

• nothing more to say...
BKM to keep PC/NB/iPod in Sync?
« on: May 23, 2003, 02:50:09 am »

Hi,

Is there a BKM (best known method) to keep media files synchronized across multiple devices? I'm using a PC at home, a notebook while traveling and an iPod. I would like to be able to sync the iPod with either the PC or the notebook. I tried copying all files from the PC to the notebook and syncing the iPod on the PC first, then with the notebook. If I do that then all files get copied to the iPod twice.

Would appreciate any ideas, thanks.

SteveG

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: BKM to keep PC/NB/iPod in Sync?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2003, 06:46:07 am »

intellirob,

You have files on your PC and files on your notebook. From your post let me make my best guess at what your problem is....

You have MC running both on your PC and your notebook and you have copies of the same files in both places. You want to synch from both the PC and the notebook and you get duplicate files.

Assuming I am correct, the best solution is to identify which files are different on the notebook from the PC and group them in a Playlist. Keep your iPod synched with your PC and then synch the Playlist from your notebook which contains the files not on your PC.

Steve

intellirob

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2003, 03:17:45 am »

Steve,
thanks for your quick reply. The scenario you described is absolutely right. What you proposed should also work but using playlists I would have to find out by myself which files are different. I would like to understand why I'm getting files copied to the iPod twice although the files on the PC and on the notebook are idendical, incl. file properties like modification date etc. I thought sync works based on file properties but there seems to be more logic involved. Are processed files stored in the data base?

Regards,  Rob

SteveG

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2003, 10:16:53 am »

Rob,

MC assigns a unique key to files. The plugin uses this key to identify files and to synch. The  problem for you is that when you have two copies of MC, MC assigns a different key to each and then they are treated as different files by your iPod.  Identifying the files by key makes the plugin fast, but does cause a problem for you in trying to run iPod from two copies of MC because as far as the plugin is concerned you have two different files.

Steve
Pages: [1]   Go Up