INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Request for MC25 - Random album selection  (Read 752 times)

Axilian

• Junior Woodchuck
Request for MC25 - Random album selection
« on: January 21, 2019, 12:12:59 pm »

Could I put in a request for a random selection button please. I have quite a varied selection of music in my Library and would love to be able to click a buttom that would selection a random album. A customizable one (i.e. able to select from a particular musical genre) would be even greater :)

As an example I use Calibre to control my ebook collection and using the random book selection button  in that software has led me to rediscovering so many books taht I would have never gone back to. I would love to be able to do this in MC

Actually thinking of Calibre another great addition (if it's possible)  would to be able to pull up biblographies /metadata of artists/albums from the internet (you can also do this in calibre and it adds greatly to the cataloging aspect of the program)

DJLegba

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Request for MC25 - Random album selection
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2019, 12:23:20 pm »

You can already sort any view randomly. I have a "Random Album" view and use it exactly as you describe. However, I agree that it would be useful to have a hotkey or control to randomize the currently-selected view, and in fact I made this request a little while ago:

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,119060.msg823334.html#msg823334

So far it has garnered 0 responses.

swiv3d

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2019, 12:26:32 pm »

Set up a smartlist which selects 1 track from an album from any selected genres and is then expanded to the full album for playback

Something like this:
[Media Type]=[Audio] [Genre]=[Adult Alternative Pop],[Alt Country],[Alternative Pop] ~limit=1,1,[album] ~a

Ok, it isn't a button but you only have to click the smartlist to play it, or you could add it as a car radio button.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2019, 12:28:57 pm »

And coming in MC25 we'll have this:
NEW: Added the shortcut Ctrl+Shift+X to randomly select a single item in a list.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Axilian

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2019, 12:37:34 pm »

Swiv3d - Just tried what you suggested  :) - Once got my head around smartlists it worked perfectly and now flagged as a favorite on my MC toolbar :) - thank you
Pages: [1]   Go Up