INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Client Library changes don't persist/sync  (Read 1211 times)

drmimosa

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Client Library changes don't persist/sync
« on: February 10, 2019, 07:34:39 pm »

I have a JRiver Media Center 24 server running with a couple computers running JRiver 24 as clients. I have read-only authentication enabled on the server, and also setup password authentication on the server and client.

Right now I can't get metadata changes made on a client to sync to the server, and I suspect it is because the client logs in as read-only authentication by default.

Can anyone duplicate this behaviour? Is there a way to force a client to login to a server with credentials?

One solution would be to turn off read only authentication, but I would rather not do this because it makes Panel hard to use on phones, etc.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
Re: Client Library changes don't persist/sync
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2019, 12:21:59 am »

Nope, not seeing that. Metadata (tags and fields specifically, not Cover Art or anything requiring file manipulation) is one of the most reliable parts of the Client/Server setup in MC.

I assume that you use a different Username and Password for "Authentication" and "Read-only Authentication"? Using the same in both could confuse things.

With Authentication, the first time a Client is connected after turning it on, or changing the Username or Password, MC requires the Username and Password to be re-entered, if I remember correctly. The MC Client then remembers those credentials and uses them next time the Client connects to that Server.

Try changing either or both the Authentication Username and Password on the Server to something unique, and then reconnecting the Client. It should ask for the new credentials when you do so. If not, it is connecting as Read-only. Try changing the Read-only Password and reconnecting the Client, then when it asks for credentials, enter the Authentication credentials instead of the Read-only Authentication credentials.

If all that doesn't work or is too hard, I think the setting at "Options > General > Advanced > Reset saved internet passwords" on the Client will also reset the Authentication passwords the Client has saved, forcing you to re-enter them. Then do as above. But that method will have MC forget all saved internet passwords such as "Doctor Who", podcast site, other linked internet site and so on. I think. I've never tested that fully.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

drmimosa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2019, 10:16:18 am »

Here is what I am testing and a clearer description of the problem I encounter:

Server runs MC 24.0.74
Client runs MC 24.0.75

Config A:

Server: Authentication enabled; Read-only Auth username and password (both unique)

Client Login with Authentication:
Tag changes made on client successfully persist on server (I had to click "Sync Changes with Library Server, but these would probably sync automatically with more time)

Client Login with Read Only:
Sync changes results in "Changes are only accepted from authenticated clients"

This is the expected behavior, everything works as RoderickGI describes above.

Config B:

Authentication enabled (username and password), Read-only Authentication is set to "Everyone" (no username and password)

Client logs in automatically with Read-Only Authentication. No metadata sync is possible with this level of authentication. Sync changes results in "Changes are only accepted from authenticated clients"

Authentication login doesn't ever present itself as an option, I'm never asked for a username and password when I connect to the library.

Authentication doesn't seem possible for MC clients when Authentication is enabled and Read-only Authentication is set to "Everyone"

Does this problem seem clearer now? Can anyone duplicate this behavior, ie can't login with authentication from a client  with server in Config B?

RoderickGI I tried clicking the setting "Options > General > Advanced > Reset saved internet passwords" on the Client. I still can't login with authentication using Config B, login defaults to read only. Your first suggestion also works, but it seems like there you are describing another "Config A", which also works for me.

Config B (Read-Only: Everyone) is my preferred setup, as it makes Panel and MCWS calls far easier to use in my LAN. But I would still like to use MC clients to tag metadata, on a laptop rather than my home office desktop server, and for this I need to login with authentication.

I suppose I could enable username/password read-only authentication on the server anytime I want to edit metadata on a client, but that seems like an elaborate workaround solution, and in addition it would temporarily break my MCWS scripts and shortcuts.

Thanks again for your time here. I could be missing a simple solution.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2019, 04:59:43 pm »

Ah, I understand the issue now. You need a way to force MC to let you log in with Read/Write Authentication, when the Client is already connected with the Read-only privileges of "Everyone" by default.

...I've got nothing. I can't think of any way to make that happen. The functionality to do so appears to be missing. There may be a hidden feature like the one Matt mentions in this thread, but I don't know about it.

In fact I can't even think of a way to switch a Client that is logged on with Read/Write Authentication back to Read-only Authentication. It seems to be a gap in the functionality. MC needs a Logout feature, or perhaps better a "Switch Authentication" feature, since the word Connection is already used in association with connecting to a Library, and Logout implies disconnection.

I wonder how other people who use mixed Read/Write and Read-only Authentication on their Clients manage this. It would be a problem even if Username and Password Read-only Authentication was used. Only changing the Username or Password forces re-logging into the desired Authentication level.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

drmimosa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2019, 08:18:21 pm »

Thanks for staying with this problem and giving your feedback, Roderick. I found it difficult to describe at first go, but your reply describes this missing functionality perfectly.

I'll add a link to this thread to the MC25 Client Server thread as a request/missing function when I get a chance.
Pages: [1]   Go Up