INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DLNA Playback Dynamic Zone Hanging JRiver  (Read 1324 times)

whoareyou

• Galactic Citizen
DLNA Playback Dynamic Zone Hanging JRiver
« on: November 17, 2018, 04:58:52 pm »

Issue where DLNA playback hangs JRiver.  This configuration used to work flawlessly. 
Not sure when issues started, but I believe it's one of latest updates.  I've also tried this with version .60 and see the same behavior.

What I'm doing:

1st computer used as a server playing back to dynamic zone (oppo 205). 
2nd computer used as client controlling the server's playback to this dynamic zone

I've renamed this zone to a unique name, so that I'm certain of what I'm looking at on client when I select the zone to control.  The zone's are set to display on the client.

2nd client computer correctly shows the server's zone under Playing now with my unique name
More often than not, when the zone is selected the client hangs and the server likewise hangs
If I first start playback on the server, and subsequently start computer two (client), the dynamic zone selects properly and the client is able to control the server's playback to the dyanmic zone without issue.

Additional:
If I start playback using gizmo I don't believe I've ever had this issue.  I believe it's unique to using jriver as client.
Sometimes on the client, the dynamic zone is displayed after the dynamic zone has been disconnected (turned off) and/or the JRiver server computer is offline. 
Selecting this non-existant dynamic zone will immediately cause JRiver to hang. 
Almost seems ike there is always something cached by JRiver that is causing the hang, regardless of state of server and/or dynamic zone.

Once this happens, the only way to "fix" this is to go to task manager and stop all components of jriver (both client & server), and restart everything.

Any suggestions? 

Thanks.
Windows 11 Pro
Intel i7-12700K / 32MBRam /
ASUS Dual GeForce RTX 4070
4K Sony x900h

whoareyou

• Galactic Citizen
Re: error 1002 Cross Thread Deadlock DLNA Playback Dynamic Zone Hanging JRiver
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2018, 05:57:30 pm »

Little more information.

Looking at event viewer there is an application hang for JRiver logged (error 1002)
It also indicates this is a Cross thread deadlock.

The issue just occured while using gizmo.

In this case I shut down the jriver server side of things, while leaving the client app opened up.  I restarted the server, and tried to reconnect with gizmo, and the server was hung.
Gizmo was also hung. 

But, this is not the only scenario when I've encountered this issue. 

Please let me know if there's anything else you'd like me to try.  This seems to be something that developers need to investigate.

Windows 11 Pro
4K Sony x900h

whoareyou

• Galactic Citizen
Re: DLNA Playback Dynamic Zone Hanging JRiver
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2018, 08:32:27 am »

Bump.....

Perhaps this is in the wrong area of the forum?  If so please advise.

Windows 11 Pro
4K Sony x900h

Mikhail

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2019, 02:12:21 pm »

Like you, I use MC as a client and as a media library server. And just as you are experiencing freeze-up issues when using the sequence MC (Client) -> MC (Library Server) -> UPNP Render Device. In this case, JRemote as a client does not cause brakes and freezes.

It's just a very rare scenario of using the program.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2019, 07:22:04 pm »

It's just a very rare scenario of using the program.

I wouldn't think it was rare at all. It would be pretty common where people are using a headless MC Server, a MC Client as the Controller, and targeting a DLNA Renderer of some sort.

For example, I just set up this scenario:

MC Client                  JRiver Client/Server connection           MC Server          DLNA connection             BubbleUPnp App
Workstation PC    <--------------------------------------------->    HTPC    -------------------------------->    Sony Xperia Phone
Connected to          i.e. Not a generic DLNA connection       Stores content
MC Server with                                                                Media Network
Server Library
loaded
Media Network

Controller                                                                             Server                                                          Renderer

Note the direction of the arrows.

With the above, I can select music from the MC Server using the MC Client, and direct output to the Sony BubbleUPnP App as the Renderer. Works no problems.

Did you ever find a solution WhoAreYou?

First, I would update to the latest version of MC, MC24.0.75.

Next, I would suspect firewalls or other security software, on either or both the MC Client and MC Server.

How about IP Addresses of the devices involved? Are they fixed, either via Static Addresses (not recommended), or using DHCP Reservations (preferred)? Or do they change often?

Then, I would suspect a compatibility issue with the Oppo 205. There are a few threads discussing those. Worth searching, as there may be DLNA settings that make it work. I would test just playing from the MC Server to the Oppo and make sure that always worked. The "DLNA Controller Options" available via a right-click on the Oppo Zone would be a place to start. You could also try using AndrewFG's DMRA software to check what the Oppo is capable of, but that has probably already been answered in other Oppo threads on the forum.

Sometimes on the client, the dynamic zone is displayed after the dynamic zone has been disconnected (turned off) and/or the JRiver server computer is offline. 
Selecting this non-existant dynamic zone will immediately cause JRiver to hang. 
Almost seems like there is always something cached by JRiver that is causing the hang, regardless of state of server and/or dynamic zone.

This is "normal", though more than a little disconcerting. But it doesn't cause a hang for me. I can select a no longer available Dynamic Zone and MC just shows an empty Playing Now. I can try to add tracks to the Dynamic Zone that is no longer available, and MC just fails to add the tracks, but doesn't hang, lockup, or crashed. It just fails gracefully.

Refreshing Dynamic Zones doesn't remove the record for my Sony Xperia BubbleUPnP App Renderer. I closed BubbleUPnP and shut down the Sony, but the zone stayed there. It was only when I switched Library, or restarted MC, that the Dynamic Zone disappeared. When I switched from the Server Library to a local Library on my MC Client, the Dynamic Zones disappeared, and then when I started BubbleUPnP on the Sony again, it reappeared in the MC Client.

Yet, in the past Dynamic Zones have been just that; Dynamic. They have disappeared when no longer available, and then not reappeared when expected. I haven't worked out any rules for what should be happening, or why. But nothing in this scenario is actually broken. It all works for me. That isn't to say that I can't break DLNA connection and MC DLNA functionality when I am testing stuff and making lots of changes, because I can break it. But not in this standard usage of it.

What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner
Pages: [1]   Go Up