INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bookmarking does not work over Media Network?  (Read 1119 times)

Kreator

• Recent member
Bookmarking does not work over Media Network?
« on: March 04, 2019, 10:29:19 pm »

I originally posted about this issue in MC 24 for Linux forum, but seems that in fact it belongs here.
The issue is I cannot make bookmarking work over Media Network. It does not work when I use my Samsung Galaxy S9 Android phone as a client (using either Panel, JRemote, or EOS apps), and it does not work when I use my PC (Panel in Chrome web browser) as a client. Not only a bookmark is not saved in the file tag, the "last played" and "last skipped" fields are also empty, as if the file was never played. The server is on a NAS which is a Ubuntu 16.04 Linux machine.
Bookmarking does work quite nicely if I just play the file in the MC 24 player. Hit stop once, and here is a bookmark.
I tried using and not using authentication, and checked that the client is set to auto sync changes with the server.
This is a pretty big deal for me. With a 45 to 90 minutes podcast file, not having bookmarking is perhaps an inconvenience. With 10 hours long m4b audiobook, not having bookmarking makes the audiobook useless.
Dear developers, can I please get some help?
Did I still miss something that would enable bookmarking to work over network?
If it is not implemented, is it a big deal to implement it?
Thanks in advance for any insight.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Bookmarking does not work over Media Network?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2019, 08:11:04 am »

We tried to reproduce this, but the Library Server client saved and loaded bookmarks just fine.

Make sure the file is tagged as an Audiobook or Podcast for the bookmarking to load.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2019, 02:23:26 pm »

Bookmarking works fine between a MC Client and a MC Server, if full Authentication (Username and Password) is on, and you allow enough time for bookmark changes on the Client to the synced to the Server.

Most often when people report Bookmarking isn't working, between a MC Client and a MC Server, it is because they don't allow time for the Client to sync the Bookmark and other tag changes back to the Server after stopping playback of some media. Stopping playback and immediately closing or shutting down the Client will result in the tags being lost.

The other issue some people had was that they were hitting Stop twice, which is a feature to clear the Bookmark when a user doesn't want to save their position for the next play. Plus there was an unintended feature in Zoneswitch, but that has been fixed. There are also some rules Bookmarking uses when it doesn't save the tag, such as too close to the start or end of the file. Maybe the duration of the audiobooks isn't being read correctly, so Bookmarking is being mucked up?

However, I have never tested Bookmarking with Panel, and I don't have JRemote or EOS, which would both need to have the ability to save the appropriate tags correctly. I also only run Windows versions of MC.

There was a long and convoluted discussion about it a while back, if you are game: https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,110183.0.html
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Kreator

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2019, 09:24:41 pm »

Matt - what are you using as a client when trying to reproduce the issue?
  I happen to have a Master license, so just installed MC 24 on my Windows 10 PC (the library and library server are on the NAS machine running Ubuntu 16.04).
  Results are:

Client is MC24 on a Windows 10 PC - bookmark is set and and used to resume playing properly.
(Thanks for the tip, RoderickGI, it does indeed take a while after pressing the stop button for the bookmark to appear in the tag)
Client is Panel in Chrome browser on the same Windows 10 PC - bookmark is not set. File still shows as never played and never skipped.
(Waited for 5 minutes after pressing the stop button, no difference)
Client is JRemote (or EOS, or Panel, same thing) on an Android phone - bookmark is not set.
Authentication is set for the server.

Can we please get to the bottom of this?
  I read every post on the forum where "bookmark" is mentioned, and tried all options and combinations.
  Could some kind soul please try for me stopping the playback of a podcast or audiobook file in Panel or JRemote or both?

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2019, 10:20:02 pm »

Panel doesn't even respect or update Bookmarks for video (I tested a Movie and a TV Show), so I don't think it will for a Podcast or Audiobook.

I suspect that Bookmark functionality hasn't been implemented in Panel.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Kreator

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2019, 03:42:36 pm »

RoderickGI - you are definitely a kind soul and thanks!

Now that the issue is confirmed though, it would be nice to get an answer from developers.
Is the bookmarking feature indeed not implemented in the Panel and JRemote? And if it is not, is there a plan to implement it?

For me personally, not having bookmarking on a remote connection is a bug and not simply a lack of feature, because it makes the Media Center unusable with podcasts and audiobooks. I mostly listen to those when driving, and it is not just impractical but simply unsafe (and probably illegal in my state) to be trying to find the right spot to resume playing while on the road.

The only thing to add is that I love the software, and have been a loyal customer since MC22. I could of course download all the files to my phone's memory and get a different app to play them, but besides added work it would be disappointing not to be able to use my favorite program.
Pages: [1]   Go Up