INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How does Loudness interact with Adaptive Volume and Volume Leveling?  (Read 933 times)

emeraldnext

Hello,

I've set a reference level after following the procedure on the wiki, but in order to get the correct behavior out of loudness, what combination of volume settings should be enabled?

I assume internal volume, obviously, but should both neither, both, or one or the other in terms of adaptive volume or volume leveling be used with Loudness? Does Loudness take into account the volume changes of adaptive volume and volume levelling?

Thank you.

stewart_pk

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: How does Loudness interact with Adaptive Volume and Volume Leveling?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2019, 07:46:57 pm »

Good question and I think the answer is NO, LOUDNESS does not take Volume Leveling and/or Adaptive Volume into account.

So, what I did was switch Volume Leveling on and Adaptive Volume off.
Then, observing what the largest reduction in volume that Volume Leveling applied for any one album from my music library (19.5db in my case) I added a +19.5db increase in volume using the Parametric Equalizer.

Now LOUDNESS should work as intended. There might well be a better way to do this.

Mitchco

• MC Beta Team
  • World Citizen
Re: How does Loudness interact with Adaptive Volume and Volume Leveling?
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2019, 09:29:33 pm »

Re: Does Loudness take into account the volume changes of adaptive volume and volume levelling?

Don't think so and I set it up similar to what stewart_pk does. I use volume levelling, but not adaptive volume. Took me a while to figure out what adaptive volume was doing, as my reference level changed every once and a while and I did not know why... Only when I added a new tune to an existing playlist gave me the tip to look up JRiver help. I had to read it a few times to understand what was going on.

I use Convolution, so I make up the gain using the "normalize the filter volume" in the Convolution panel.

But still begs the question how to (properly) set the reference level with (band limited) pink noise... Does one perform an analyze audio on the pink noise file and with reply gain on set the ref level, or? I just play music with loudness off (but volume levelling on, and Convolution) and set the loudness threshold when I average around 83 dB SPL on my SLM... Then I set the reference level and turn loudness on. Maybe there is a better way?
Pages: [1]   Go Up