INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Feature Request  (Read 1779 times)

MachineHead

Feature Request
« on: May 17, 2003, 08:14:21 pm »

Started to rate a few files and thought this could be improved somewhat. The addition of an Album rating would greatly enhance how you could rate files.

Sometimes there are a few albums that just plain suck, with the exception of maybe one track. So for a smartlist, or whatever, this could refine some of the parameters just a bit more.

phelt

Re: Feature Request
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2003, 11:14:48 pm »

A great idea IMO  :)

Marty3d

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2003, 12:08:30 am »

A while ago, I posted some thoughts about album rating... I thought it would be nice if you could get an overall rating for an album.

If you rate your tracks in an album with mostly 4's and 5's, then you had an overall rating 4,7 (or something) for that album. But if you have a bad album, it would rate like 1,7. This way it would be real easy to sort the good ones from the bad :)

/Martin

nila

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2003, 07:25:24 am »

Machine
I've wanted this for AGES.

Like to a bit further extent.

I'd like to be able to set ratings, year, genre for the whole album. I'd like MC to actually be aware of the objects called 'albums' that we could rate, set properties for etc. that was seperate from the tracks so we could use MC properly for albums rather than just having it group songs together to display them with no options. I'd like it to actually grab the fact that albums are an important and crucial part of our tracks so it was more realistic.

I'd like a general abstraction from just 'individual tracks'. It's a very limited way of dealing with large collections.

I'd like to be able to set the album details and for the tree view to display the album info so it would look like this:

artist/album details

Aaliyah
- I Miss You [2002 R&B rating 5] - 15 tracks - 45 mins

I'd also love to be able to set ratings for artists so I could rate the artist once and then any new songs that got added would automatically get that rating for a field called: artist rating or something so that I didn't have to do it manually for each song i get. Or maybe an automatically created artist rating which was the average. :)

rocketsauce

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2003, 08:33:36 am »

I'd like to be able to set ratings, year, genre for the whole album. I'd like MC to actually be aware of the objects called 'albums' that we could rate, set properties for etc.

Can't you do this by creating custom fields for those items and then build view schemes and smartlists that use them?

But if you have a bad album, it would rate like 1,7.

If you rate most of the tracks on the album as bad, wouldn't you just delete the bad tracks and keep the couple of good ones?

I guess my rating needs are more simple. Tracks that are "hits" and/or that I like a lot get rated a 5. Everything else stays at the ? rating.

Rob

nila

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2003, 09:56:06 am »

I can but these then dont show under the tree view.
Also if I put it into the image mode where it groups by albums - it wouldn't display this album rating, genre, etc info.

I guess I mean like AV where I have an album along with the rating for it that all shows when it's showing me the album thumbnail.

rocketsauce

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2003, 04:32:30 pm »

I can but these then dont show under the tree view.

Maybe I'm not sure what you mean. Can't you choose to use any user-created field when building a new view scheme? It might not display exactly in the manner you're envisioning, but you could probably work out something that's close.

Rob

nila

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2003, 10:15:15 am »

I mean where the node would show the info for more than one field and would also show just the whole collection details.

Like the scheme would be:
artist/album

and it would show:

christina aguilera
- aguilera - 2002 - rating 5 - length  63:32 mins

etc so it had a load of info in the actual tree node all related directly to the album itself rather than just the album name.

rocketsauce

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2003, 12:41:21 pm »

Ok...but then with that much info, wouldn't the tree view pane have to take up a much larger share of the screen? And I guess it seems kind of redundant to me. Aren't most of those details pretty much visible anyway in the right hand (track view?) pane and the status bar when you select an album title in the tree view?

Rob

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2003, 02:05:20 pm »

Why not just add Type : Rating to the list of available data types so that we could add any kind of rating we wanted without having to wait for JRiver to add it for us?

Then you could add a rating for album, lyrics, the band's attitude towards cheese, or whatever else you want.

MachineHead

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2003, 02:24:24 pm »

The addition of an Album rating would greatly enhance how you could rate files.

Skip it. To much of a hassle for another rating. I thought this could be a simple thing. Boy was I wrong.

later

rocketsauce

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2003, 10:50:14 pm »

Machine, we did a good job of hijacking your thread, didn't we? :)

So, on topic, I think an album rating feature is a good idea if it is tied to the track ratings in some way (the suggestion made by Marty3d was good). If you just want to rate the album, though, just create a new field for it.

Rob

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2003, 06:12:27 am »

I wasn't trying to hijack the thread...

Seriously, I think Rating should be a data type in the database.

Because truthfully, all we really want is the graphical end of things, right? There's nothing stopping us from just adding a new field called Album Rating, and then selecting all files in that album and giving them a uniform rating.

But the graphical part is what would make it easy and cool. So allow a data type of Rating, that creates a field with the graphical rating in it.

Granted this isn't any kind of automatic album rating thing, where if we set the rating for one song, they all automatically receive that rating. But it would allow us to create ratings for anything we wanted.

We could rate the quality of the vocals seperate from the quality of the lyrics and drums if we wanted to.

LisaRCT

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2003, 06:58:24 am »

There is a feature I want added . .  .
a time shifter-transporter that takes you back to the actual live concert you are listening to when it was originally recorded    ;D
MJ10 perhaps
LOL
Pages: [1]   Go Up