INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can I make all album thumbnails the same size across all audio view schemes?  (Read 2699 times)

richard-ec2

• Galactic Citizen

Tried searching but... in audio, is there a simple way to make all album cover thumbnails default to the same size in all the child view schemes? I'm talking about the top half of the main display area where all the album thumbnails appears in rows.

richard-ec2

• Galactic Citizen

C'mon guys, there must be an answer, even if it's no!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?

I don't know.  Try Customize Views.  Right click on the category in the tree to start.  That's what's available.

MikeO

In each view there is a Slider Control on the top right corner which governs the image size, I set mine to 5 across for example, this is then set and saved

As far as I know you have to do it per View but it stays put once you have done. I am not aware of a central setting

Hope this is what you’re after

richard-ec2

• Galactic Citizen

Thank you for replying but as I said, I'm looking for a setting that makes all album thumbnails the same size in all child view schemes. This seems such a simple, basic feature that it's hard to believe it doesn't exist - if someone has a preference for a particular size of thumbnail, then most likely, they will want that size of thumbnail in all view schemes, though of course one would always want the option to tweak individual view schemes with the slider, as now.

The strange thing is, MC already has a default setting for thumbnail size in all view schemes so all that's needed is an option to change the default. Yet as far as I can determine, it simply does not exist.

I'm finding this is a big problem when using Tremote on my tablet (SurfacePro). Each time I load the remote library, my library fills up with thumbnails from the remote library but the default size is tiny. If I want to make the thumbnails viewable, I have to go through every view scheme adjusting each one manually with the slider. And this isn't just a one-time chore - I have to do this every time I re-load the remote library on the SurfacePro because MC does not remember any settings for remote libraries.

If anyone knows of a way to change the default size of thumbnails, please say.

JimH

• Administrator

Try setting thumbnail size on the server (remote machine)

Try turning on Authentication on the server.

Try MC's Size option (under the View Menu).

richard-ec2

• Galactic Citizen

Thanks JimH but it doesn't work. The thumbnail size is already set on the server but Tremote does not attempt to replicate that setting on the SurfacePro.

I didn't know about library synch server before and it's a good idea but even after turning on authentication, it makes no attempt to synch thumbnail size. I checked out the JRiverWiki for library synch server and sure enough, its list of what is not synched includes view customisation. Pity because that would have solved my problem even without the ability to set a default thumbnail size.

JimH

• Administrator

Don't forget the Size option under the View Menu.

richard-ec2

• Galactic Citizen

Thanks for the suggestion but Size doesn't increase thumbnail size  - it increase everything else but the thumbnails stay the same!

Here's an image. You can see there are 17 thumbnails in each horizontal line and I need it to be 6 or 7 for comfortable viewing:

JimH

• Administrator

If you change them, they should remain that way.

Have you considered using Theater View?  Or Panel?  Or another remote?  Just to compare ...

DJLegba

Move that little slider on the top right, below the search box. That lets you adjust the number of albums per line.

richard-ec2

• Galactic Citizen

If you change them, they should remain that way.

Have you considered using Theater View?  Or Panel?  Or another remote?  Just to compare ...

They won't stay that way in Tremote - every time you re-load the remote library, it reverts to the tiny thumbnails shown in the image, in every view scheme. I need some way of making the remote library load the thumbnails at a sensible size - or failing that, a quick way of enlarging them, without having to go through every view scheme manually adjusting the slider, and having to do that every time I re-load the library.

I'm aware of theatre view and Panel but don't like them much and would like to use standard view if I can. The perfect solution would be the wonderful JRemote if only it were available for Windows.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team

Everything Richard has said in this thread is correct.

When using Tremote, the Thumbnail Slider setting is retrieved from the Server Library and applied to the Client display. Because the screen resolutions and DPI are different, this results in different sized thumbnails on the Client from the Server. My HTPC Server runs at 4K (3840x2160) on a 65" TV. My Workstation Client runs at 2560x1600 on a 30" display. So setting the Server to 15 thumbnails across gives 10 thumbnails across on the Client. The actual number of thumbnails across depends on the width of the Navigation Bar, and I often have a vertical Split View open, both settings that are not dependent on the Server, so I see even less usually on the Client.

Perhaps a better solution than having a than a global setting for the slider, that was applied to all Views, would be for the slider position to take into account the different resolutions on the Server and Client, so that a slider setting on the Server giving a certain number of thumbnails across gives the same number of thumbnails across on the Client, assuming other interface settings (Navigation Bar width, Split View, etc.) are the same.

I'm always changing thumbnails size on both my Client and Server, so this issue doesn't affect me much. But if I was using a SurfacePro and Tremote as a remote control for my Server, I could see how this would be annoying.

Tip: Did you know that right-clicking on the Slider maximises the view of the current thumbnail, show just that one image? Right-clicking on it again revert to the original Slider setting. Neat.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

~OHM~

• "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"

Tip: Did you know that right-clicking on the Slider maximises the view of the current thumbnail, show just that one image? Right-clicking on it again revert to the original Slider setting. Neat.
I do now....thanks  :)
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

richard-ec2

• Galactic Citizen

Everything Richard has said in this thread is correct.

When using Tremote, the Thumbnail Slider setting is retrieved from the Server Library and applied to the Client display. Because the screen resolutions and DPI are different, this results in different sized thumbnails on the Client from the Server. My HTPC Server runs at 4K (3840x2160) on a 65" TV. My Workstation Client runs at 2560x1600 on a 30" display. So setting the Server to 15 thumbnails across gives 10 thumbnails across on the Client. The actual number of thumbnails across depends on the width of the Navigation Bar, and I often have a vertical Split View open, both settings that are not dependent on the Server, so I see even less usually on the Client.

Perhaps a better solution than having a than a global setting for the slider, that was applied to all Views, would be for the slider position to take into account the different resolutions on the Server and Client, so that a slider setting on the Server giving a certain number of thumbnails across gives the same number of thumbnails across on the Client, assuming other interface settings (Navigation Bar width, Split View, etc.) are the same.

I'm always changing thumbnails size on both my Client and Server, so this issue doesn't affect me much. But if I was using a SurfacePro and Tremote as a remote control for my Server, I could see how this would be annoying.

What a brilliant insight! This had never occurred to me but I have now tested it and it is absolutely true. Tremote DOES in fact record the thumbnail slider position on the main PC and DOES transfer it to the remote PC - but the problem is, as RoderickGI rightly points out, the slider position is meaningless when transferred to a different PC with a different screen size and a different DPI and resolution so you get bizarre and unsatisfactory layouts.

One solution as RoderickGI suggests would be to allow the user to determine how many thumbnails appear in each horizontal line. But another solution, and possibly a simpler one, would be the one which is the topic of this thread, namely, an option to adjust the default album thumbnail size applying to all audio view schemes. Since there obviously is a default size, it would surely be a simple matter to make it adjustable, and then anyone who found themselves for whatever reason with the wrong size thumbnails would be able to reset them to their chosen default across all view schemes with a single mouseclick.

I'm still clinging to the hope that someone will come along and say "Well actually, you can do that already..."

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team

BTW, when you say there is obviously a default size, are you just talking about when a new View is created, thumbnails are displayed as some default size? Because I don't know of any other time MC uses a default thumbnail size.

Anyway, I guess we can live in hope. Maybe Ctrl-Drag Slider could adjust all View Sliders. Or a setting somewhere. But currently, the Slider position is tied to the View definition, which comes from the Server when the Client connects to it. So any solution on the Client would have to override that setting.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

richard-ec2

• Galactic Citizen

When I say there is obviously a default size for the album thumbnails, I mean the size that MC defaults to when you first ever install the software and also subsequently, whenever you create a new view scheme. My suggestion is to make that default customizable, so you could choose a thumbnail size for all view schemes but still have the slider there if you wanted to tweak an individual view.

There would need to be an "apply" button so that any new choice of default could be applied to all existing view schemes.

I appreciate that when using Tremote, Tremote imports the slider position from the other PC. But this could be addressed using the "apply" button imagined above.
Pages: [1]   Go Up