INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hardware Decoding questions  (Read 1010 times)

elo

• Junior Woodchuck
Hardware Decoding questions
« on: April 02, 2019, 07:26:02 am »

Even thought this thread is on Encoding but some of the posts talk about >Decoding and I am a little confused and I have some questions related to HW assisted Decoding and rendering.

Was HW assisted decoding of H.264 possible in MC24?

From the 8th gen if Intels CPUs (Kerby Lake) with onchip GPU there is HW support for H.264, H.265, HDR etc. (4k)

With a mother board with Kerby Lake CPU and a “weak” GPU like Nvidia 1050 (exists in a passively cooled version), can the decoding (4k) be done in hardware on the CPU (rather its GPU) and the rendering on the external GPU and thus utlizing the HW capabilities to its maximum? (Controled by MC25 and madvr with monitor connected to the HDMI connection at the external GPU)

Further using a 9th generation Intel CPU on a motherboard with HDMI 2. Is this strong enough to perform high level rendering and decoding of H.265 coded video?  If yes this opens up for the last generation Intel NUC to offer a very small and effective HTPC solution ONLY for media playback (no gaming).

Can these task be placed and controlde through the set up interface of madVR?

Hendrik

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Hardware Decoding questions
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2019, 07:30:30 am »

I've split this off from the encoding thread since its unrelated.

Decoding of all popular formats supported by the graphics cards has been supported for a long time already. You can enable it in "Settings -> Video -> Hardware accelerated video decoding if possible"
Note that typically decoding is done on the primary GPU, and in most cases should not be switched. Decoding uses dedicated hardware, and does not impact the rendering performance much at all.

Integrated Intel GPUs are relatively weak, however they are enough to decode and render H.265 with lower quality madVR settings (we have a specific preset for Intel GPUs to use), but don't expect to use any high quality settings without a dedicated GPU at this time.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

elo

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2019, 08:54:08 am »

Thank you @Hendrik. Since the Intel GPUs are capable of decoding H.254 and H.256 up to fps 60 i think (!) my question was if madVR is able to use the external GPU for the rendering in paralell with the decoding beeing done in the internal GPU?

Do I understand you correctly that if the Hardware Accelerated Video Decoding option is OFF the decding is done by the internal GPU (you wrote the primary GPU) and the rendering is done on the external GPU?

If so I think it would be ok to use a passive Nvidia based GPU lbased on the 1050.

The reason for these perhaps simple uninformed questions is that I find it very difficult to find good advice of nessesary HW.

Hendrik

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2019, 09:34:37 am »

If its set to OFF, it will not use any GPU to do decoding - no hardware acceleration. It'll use a software decoder.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters
Pages: [1]   Go Up