INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: User Rights/Multiple User Workround XP  (Read 1167 times)

N0z1f

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Woo Hoo...
User Rights/Multiple User Workround XP
« on: May 16, 2003, 11:14:31 am »

Ok I too have run into the multiple user problem on windows XP. MC9 will only run if the user is Admin.
But I have a workround. Here goes...

1.Create a new user called MCUser and set a password
2.Make this user an administrator
(log on at least once before next steps)
3.Create a new shorcut (Right click desktop/new/shortcut)

4.In the location box type the following;

runas /noprofile /user:yourmachinename\MCuser "D:\Program Files\J River\Media Jukebox\Media Jukebox.exe"

5.Click 'Next' Give it a name i.e.MC9 and click 'Finish'
6.Right click the new icon on your desktop click properties and select 'change icon' on the shortcut tab. Browse to D:\Program Files\J River\Media Jukebox\Media Jukebox.exe and choose one of the loverly MC icons.

6. Cut the icon and paste it into the desktop folder for your other users (or the All Users desktop folder).

7. When the user with the'Limited' Account clicks on the new icon they will be prompted for the password of the MCUser account.(see below)

Heypresto MC will run!!

Why ? Because the shortcut runs MC under the MCUser account which has admin rights.

Lore

• nothing more to say...
Re: User Rights/Multiple User Workround XP
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2003, 01:14:00 pm »

Hello:

Please excuse the MJ8 question in the MC9 forum.  After reading the MJ8 Help, FAQ, MJ8 forum FAQ & forum sticky posts as well as searching all the forums here, this is the closest I have found to a solution for the Multiple User problem with MJ8 under Windows XP.  While the above solution may work (though I doubt it for MJ8 as I couldn't run MJ8 from an Admin account other than the one I installed from) - it requires that ALL users know the password to an account with Admin rights :( - not an option for my situation.  I need limited accounts for a reason ...

I am impressed with MJ8 in general but the user problem makes it a non-starter.  I'm still within my 30-day trial period and am happy to try out solutions and/or wait a short time for a bug-fix prior to registering/upgrading to MJ8+ or MC9.  However, if the single user mode is intentional or part and parcel of the design of MJ8 then please let me know so that I don't waste my time and yours.

Thanks,

Lore

Jaguu

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2003, 02:22:56 pm »

As far as I remember from long gone MJ8 days, the simple rule given by JimH for MJ8 was: Install MJ8 for every individual user on your pc. So if you have 3 users install MJ8 3 times. You can always use the same installation path.

As far as I remember MJ8 used much more the HKCU part of the registry, so each user got his own registry entries.

Certainly not perfect, but workable!

N0z1f

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Woo Hoo...
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2003, 09:08:24 pm »

Hello:

it requires that ALL users know the password to an account with Admin rights :( - not an option for my situation.  I need limited accounts for a reason ...

Yes it does require all users to know the password to an account with admin rights but do your users need to know this ? I told mine that the password prompt was a feature of the MC. If they are a bit more IT savvy then you could always limit the access of the MCUser account using XP Security settings.

Lore

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2003, 04:10:15 pm »

Thanks Jaguu - I'll try the multiple install when I get a chance.

Lore
Pages: [1]   Go Up