INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DLNA issues with converted video [Solved]  (Read 1630 times)

mnarwold

• Recent member
DLNA issues with converted video [Solved]
« on: April 04, 2019, 01:53:14 pm »

Hey Everyone,
I am using MC18 on PC and would like to stream video to a Samsung smart TV (model UE40ES6300). My entire video library is there in .mkv file format. When I send the file as original, the TV says it w
Doesn't support that file type (although the manual says it should). If I have MC convert to just about any other file type, then it streams, but I cannot seek or resume or change the time. I have tried just about every combination of different settings for the DNLA within MC (different video, audio, advanced checkboxes, etc), but can't fast forward or change anything with the time. This is a major problem for someone who would love to watch his hobbit trilogy, but only gets one or two hours at a time for watching. It would be like Groundhog day.

I do have a couple movies in mp4 and it works without problem. I also had MC convert a file to .ts and it also worked, although it lost the subtitles. I would like to find a solution that doesn't mean having my computer running conversions for the next month on my 19.4 days worth of video. Although, as a side note, I couldn't find a place where the different video encodings are explained. I would consider if it doesn't degrade much quality and keeps my subtitles.

So, I am looking for solutions. Has MC come up with any nifty solutions in later releases after 18? Does the TV need an update or something? Would a Chromecast or fire stick or similar device solve my problems without adding a bunch of new ones? Is there some magic combination of settings? I am pretty handy with electronics, but this is my first experience with a smart TV and streaming video in my network.
Thanks,
Josiah

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: DNLA issues with converted video
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2019, 05:40:46 pm »

I do believe that later versions of MC should now support Seek() on transcoded video. But you may want to test it first with the trial version before you buy the upgrade.
Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2019, 08:00:48 pm »

I can stream MKV movies in Original format to my Sony TV acting as a DLNA Renderer using MC25. I can also seek within that movie.

But sometimes my TV won't Render a movie in the Original format, even when the TV says that it should. So it is a bit hit and miss. Sometimes I can use Original format, sometimes I need transcoding.

I saw a few "We are having trouble controlling the DLNA Renderer" messages, but a retry worked in all cases except when I had MKV files being transcoded to a TS "when required".

So, as Andrew recommended, install the MC25 trial and see if it works for your MKV files. Sorry, I couldn't test using Subtitles.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

mnarwold

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2019, 12:14:13 pm »

Thanks for the idea, I will give it a try and let you know how it goes. I won't have internet access at home for awhile, unless I figure out how to share my cell phone data with a computer without a wifi adapter...

mnarwold

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2019, 09:51:09 am »

OK, so here's an update. I installed MC25 and gave it a try. I was able to stream video and seek! Woohoo! But wait . . . every time I tell it to move it goes forward a few minutes. If I tell it to skip to the end, it moves forward a couple minutes and the timer resets to 0:00:00. After playing for awhile, I try to rewind a couple minutes and . . . it jumps forward a couple minutes . . . OK, problem not solved.

Then from one day to the next, something seems to break and MC25 will no longer play music unless it is originally mp3. Bummer since most of my stuff is not mp3. No type of encoding seems to be able to stream audio. MC18 continues unchanged.

So, haven't really moved forward at all.
I've done some more reading and wondered about firewall or antivirus, so I changed settings and also turned firewall and antivirus all the way off, but no change.

Any other ideas? Any thoughts on whether the issue would be with the TV, router, or my computer?
Thanks,
Josiah

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2019, 10:05:48 am »

You could try AndrewFG's tool (from above):

Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra

mnarwold

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2019, 11:53:00 am »

Ok, so finally got it solved. I found someone who had a similar issue and fixed it. Explanation below.
I finally solved it, at least for all the videos I tried so far.. Parameters:
Template: Samsung BD/TV
Video Conversion: Never Convert
Advanced:
Check "MPEG video mimetype override"
"Video DLNA Override:" MPEG_PS_PAL

The audio problem was because the computer didn't have internet access and had not had a chance to download the mp3 encoder. I used my phone to share internet with the computer and downloaded quick. Yay!
Pages: [1]   Go Up