INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Streaming to JRemote from NAS without PC?  (Read 844 times)

Donnnie

Streaming to JRemote from NAS without PC?
« on: April 10, 2019, 01:24:15 pm »

Hello.  I apologize in advance if this has been covered before...

I am currently streaming my 24-bit FLAC files to an iPad Pro using JRemote on the iPad while running JRiver MC 24 on my PC.  Considering my music files are stored on a Buffalo Linkstation NAS, I'd love to remove the need of having a PC running as the server. (Basically going from 3 devices to two).  Since the NAS is running a form of Linux, is there any way of having the JRemote app recognize the NAS as JMC ?

I know that sounds convoluted and there's probably a cleaner way of stating what I'm looking to do here, but if ANYONE understands what I'm saying, please let me know your thoughts.  Cheers!

Don

Scobie

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Looking Busy
Re: Streaming to JRemote from NAS without PC?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2019, 06:09:44 pm »

I had exactly the same issue with using a laptop and a QNAP.

I solved it in 2 ways with the help of the guys here and was able to take the laptop out of the equation:

1.Install a Linux VM on the NAS (not sure if yours supports this mine has a Virtual Station app for VM’s) and install MC on the virtual machine.

That worked but proved a bit resource intensive (my QNAP topped out at 8G of RAM) so

2. I used the Docker version of MC created by Jatzoo  here and spun it up on the Container Station in the QNAP. Again I don’t know if your NAS has a Container app, but I have found this works really well for me as it uses far fewer resources.

Does your Buffalo support either of those solutions?

Pages: [1]   Go Up