INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRiver 25 - cd ripping problem  (Read 8275 times)

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: JRiver 25 - cd ripping problem
« Reply #50 on: May 12, 2019, 05:48:48 pm »

I missed this the first time I read it.  That suggests that we may have been chasing more than one problem and that a Windows update could have been part of the problem.

It has been documented for a long time that USB connected CD Drives do not allow Windows 10 to take the low-level control required for secure CD ripping. Only IDE/SATA CD Drives will work when ripping which requires more control than just reading a CD. Of course that depends somewhat on the method used for CD ripping, but it seems that MC's method falls into this category.

It is interesting that an IDE/SATA to USB 3.0 cable gets around this issue. I assume that some of the protections Windows 10 implements for the unexpected removal of a USB drive are removed. Which means care needs to be taken in removing the drives. That would only be a significant issue if the CD Drive was writing to a disc of course. Maybe if the drive was marked as Read Only, or non-removable half these problems would disappear.

But generally, using a USB connected Optical Drive for ripping optical discs is a bad idea.

What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

tij

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #51 on: May 13, 2019, 05:48:29 am »

I rip with Exact Audio Copy (must be force of habit) … have 1 SATA drive, 2 USB drives … EAC able to use all of them at low level access for accurate ripping … not sure why MC cannot use USB drive (can be actually drive limitation rather than interface problem … for example - not all drive able to retrieve C2 error information or "Accurate Stream" features)

PS … in case you were wondering … those CD/DVD/bluray drive survive my PC upgrade phase (aka I did not throw them away when upgraded hardware) … I have lots of damaged CDs that I haven't rip yet … and some of my drives handle some errors better than others  … in some cases 2 drives fail to accurately rip (lots of scratches), while another one able to do it several times (albeit after several attempts … might be just luck)
HTPC: Win11 Pro, MC: latest 31(64b), NV Driver: v425.31, CPU: i9-12900K, 32GB RAM, GeForce: 2080ti
Screen: LG 2016 E6
NAS: FreeNAS 11.1, SuperMicro SSG-5048R-E1CR36L, E5-1620v4, 64GB ECC RAM, 18xUltrastar He12-SAS3 drives, 2x240GB SSD (OS)

Tsiobbel

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #52 on: May 16, 2019, 02:25:57 pm »

The latest update in MC25 for cd ripping is making things worse. I've tried to rip a cd
Folder rule : album
Filename rule : track artist name

I was not able to rip this disc (after trying 4 times), I thought it was a Synology nas problem. However, I've tried to rip on the same laptop in MC24 and the disc rips perfectly.
I don't know if the cause is linked with my computer. But if MC 25 does not keep on ripping cd's at it should be, and MC 24 does the job without any problem, I have the strong feeling it is MC 25 based. The stability problems which occur with MC 25 make things worse

kenzda

• Recent member
« Reply #53 on: May 20, 2019, 05:44:34 pm »

We'd like to find a few people who are still having problems and would be able to test private builds.  Any volunteers?

Sorry, haven't checked back here in a while. Sure, I would try if you still need people.

Also, I just tried to play a CD with MC and it plays less than 2 sec of each song, goes thru entire CD in less than 10 sec. I assume this is related.

NealJ

• Recent member
« Reply #54 on: October 01, 2019, 07:52:58 am »

I've still got the same same problem as I reported months ago, although intermittent. CD goes in, drive spins, MC either freezes or takes ages to do nothing. I reboot as my device has disappeared, try again same problem. I reboot, use EAC, no problems.
Any ideas?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #55 on: October 01, 2019, 08:58:11 am »

Firewall?  Antivirus?

Tsiobbel

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #56 on: October 01, 2019, 11:41:48 am »

There is an intermediate solution. Let MC play the cd first. MC recognizes the titles and artist. Some seconds is enough. I switch to 'rip disc' and it works fine. If however, I insert a cd and take the rip option I als keep on having the same problem as described many times. It is probably not the most elegant option but it works. With MC 24 I didn't have to do this 'less elegant option' as ripping was executed from the first time correctly. If it would have been a firewall or antivirus problem, the same ripping problem would occur on MC 24 as well, as both versions are installed on the same computer.

NealJ

• Recent member
« Reply #57 on: October 01, 2019, 11:51:37 am »

Firewall?  Antivirus?

Firewall and antivirus is standard Windows default. I went through the checks previously. If it is related to either of these, would that account for the drive 'disappearing' i.e. no optical drive shows up in file explorer? The PC has to be rebooted for the CD drive driver to reload.

Thanks Tsiobbel, I will give your workaround a go next time.

NealJ

• Recent member
« Reply #58 on: October 09, 2019, 03:04:16 pm »

Tsiobbel,

I've just tried the last CD that wouldn't rip using your suggestion, i.e. play first, stop playback and then rip and that worked. I'll try again once some more new CDs arrive this week.

To MC:
Does this problem have any form of ongoing priority? There was talk of a private build back in May but I haven't heard anything since.

rec head

« Reply #59 on: October 09, 2019, 03:40:03 pm »

MC won't even recognize that discs are in either of my drives. I have never had any luck ripping from both drives at once but one at a time would work. Now I get nothing. Yesterday it was freezing up my whole system when I would try to rip. The CD drive light wasn't even on. I had to restart the computer multiple times.

EAC recognizes both drives fine. I would just use that to rip but it doesn't let me rip to mapped drives.

Cinelder

• World Citizen
« Reply #60 on: October 09, 2019, 08:00:11 pm »

I've still got the same same problem as I reported months ago, although intermittent. CD goes in, drive spins, MC either freezes or takes ages to do nothing. I reboot as my device has disappeared, try again same problem. I reboot, use EAC, no problems.
Any ideas?

Me too - I use Foobar when this happens with MC. 

NealJ

• Recent member
« Reply #61 on: October 12, 2019, 10:39:44 am »

Tsiobbel,

I've just tried the last CD that wouldn't rip using your suggestion, i.e. play first, stop playback and then rip and that worked. I'll try again once some more new CDs arrive this week.
This worked again on a new batch of CDs, first time rip after playing the disc.

To MC:
Does this problem have any form of ongoing priority? There was talk of a private build back in May but I haven't heard anything since.

No reply to this?
If you are investigating the problem still, please say so.
If you're not going to investigate any further, please say so.

Thank you

NealJ

• Recent member
« Reply #62 on: November 08, 2019, 11:55:34 am »

But now the problem returns again. This is getting tedious as I have to restart my laptop every time I try and play or rip a CD through MC.
I take it from the lack of response to my query above that it isn't a priority even though the forum is still getting new reports of a problem with CD ripping.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #63 on: November 08, 2019, 11:59:22 am »

My guess above is still my bet.

NealJ

• Recent member
« Reply #64 on: November 08, 2019, 01:05:51 pm »

That's not the most helpful of replies. I mentioned that I have the standard Windows defender and anti-virus, it's not some strange esoteric software. The firewall has MC as an allowed app. What else am I supposed to do in terms of anti-virus and firewall?

The problem with ripping was perceived as enough of a problem before that we were asked if we would test custom builds, then it all went quiet, hence my question if this is no longer a priority?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #65 on: November 08, 2019, 01:06:59 pm »

I think that means we didn't learn anything.  Sorry.

NealJ

• Recent member
« Reply #66 on: November 08, 2019, 01:43:30 pm »

I meant it was asked if we would test custom builds, to which I at least replied yes, but then I never heard anything again. Did this go ahead with others and nothing was learned, or did it get forgotten about.
Do I then take it that you are not pursuing this problem, it's difficult to tell from your rather brief replies.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up