INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRemote 3.28 : JRemote does not show This Device - cannot stream music to iPad  (Read 1914 times)

KilburnKid

• Recent member

I am using JRemote 3.28 on iPad with iOS12.2. My MC25.0.17 64-bit client is on a PC with latest Windows 10 Pro. Firewall access on PC has been granted and Router ports for 52198 and SSDP 1900 are forwarded to client PC

I am able to see my library perfectly with JRemote. However, I am only able to play music on the client PC ie I am not able to stream music to my iPad. When I view the Zones button, there are no zones listed. Several years ago, I used to be able to select 'This Device' to stream to my iPad but this is no longer visible.

Can anyone suggest a fix please?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?

Try opening 52100 to 52200.

KilburnKid

• Recent member

Thanks for the suggestion. This didn't solve the problem. Some further diagnostics:
I can access the same media library and stream audio to my iPad via Plex.
As noted, I can see the media library on JRemote and use JRemote to perform remote control functions on my server ie play music to the active server zone. However, I cannot stream music such that it streams audio and plays on the iPad that JRemote is active on ie I cannot change Zone on JRemote to This Device.
Additionally, I can access my media library on iPad remotely via JRiver Panel but when I attempt to stream any audio the page automatically reloads each time.

Finally, for other reasons, I reset my PC where the server resides and reinstalled the latest copy of Win 10 Pro 64 bit and MC 25 - unfortunately still no success.

If anyone else has additional suggestions, I would welcome comments, thanks

KilburnKid

• Recent member

Further update - I removed my library (which I had maintained throughout my new installs) and created an entirely new library with a new library access key. Success - I can now see different zones available in JRemote. Something must have been corrupted within the library?

Now I need to see how I can reconfigure all the custom settings in my old library. :(

bob

• Administrator

Further update - I removed my library (which I had maintained throughout my new installs) and created an entirely new library with a new library access key. Success - I can now see different zones available in JRemote. Something must have been corrupted within the library?

Now I need to see how I can reconfigure all the custom settings in my old library. :(
I'd restore your old library and choose to restore the settings with it.
Then remove the server from JRemote then re-enter the access key.

If the zones go away, uninstall and reinstall JRemote and try again.
Please report back, thanks!

KilburnKid

• Recent member

Apologies all for late reply but I’ve been doing a lot of library rebuilding recently, in summary:
- I have started again with completely new install of MC25 with new library. I also installed JRemote on iOS again.
- I can connect to the MC server with access key. I was able to see and select all available zones as well as stream to iPad in JRemote. However, as soon as I restarted MC on my PC and since then the only zone JRemote shows is the default zone on the MC server. I cannot select any other zones nor stream to iPad anymore.
- given my library was so new, I repeated the same test. Same result. Initially all zones showed but on MC or PC reboot, all disappeared from JRemote
- I turned off Windows firewall. Same result disappointly ie initially zones visible and streaming possible then zones disappeared after MC restart
- also I cannot stream anything via panel as screen keeps refreshing
- all tests performed within my network ie inside my router

I’m now pretty much stuck on why I seem to be having this problem but not others. ThNks for any additioral thoughts anyone may have

KilburnKid

• Recent member

One further update to my post earlier today: I have an Android phone and installed JRemote on that device. Performed the same tests as below and I managed to connect to all devices from the Android before and after restarting MC and whilst Windows firewall was up.

So I come to the conclusion that this is an issue within the iOS implementation of JRemote 3.28 and not an issue with MC 25 on Win 10

Hope this info is useful to anyone that may be able to influence an outcome in the JRemote development plans

bob

• Administrator

One further update to my post earlier today: I have an Android phone and installed JRemote on that device. Performed the same tests as below and I managed to connect to all devices from the Android before and after restarting MC and whilst Windows firewall was up.

So I come to the conclusion that this is an issue within the iOS implementation of JRemote 3.28 and not an issue with MC 25 on Win 10

Hope this info is useful to anyone that may be able to influence an outcome in the JRemote development plans
This is so odd.
JRemote enumerates the zones on IOS the same as it does on Android, it simply does a MCWS command to get them.
I run on my iPad2 mini with 12.2 all the time.

Exactly what iPad model are you using? I'll try it in the emulator here.

KilburnKid

• Recent member

Thanks. I’ve several iDevices and have tried on latest iOS 12.2 on an XS Max, iPadPro11 (2018 model) and latest iPad mini 2019 model. All with same result as described below. I’ve deleted and reinstalled JRemote several times on the iPadpro without any change in the status.

bob

• Administrator

Thanks. I’ve several iDevices and have tried on latest iOS 12.2 on an XS Max, iPadPro11 (2018 model) and latest iPad mini 2019 model. All with same result as described below. I’ve deleted and reinstalled JRemote several times on the iPadpro without any change in the status.
This must be something more generic then.

You are connecting directly to the MC where the music is, not to a client of a different MC server?

KilburnKid

• Recent member

Correct - directly to the MC server where the audio files are physically located

bob

• Administrator

Correct - directly to the MC server where the audio files are physically located
Media Network is enabled on the MC server?
Under the Media Network settings what are the Advanced set to? Are all 3 functions (server, controller and render enabled)?
Can you take a screen shot of the Playing Now -> Zone choosing display on an iDevice and either post it here or email it to me?
bob (at) jriver (dot) com
Thanks

KilburnKid

• Recent member

Thanks Bob. Re ‘screen shot of the Playing Now -> Zone choosing display on an iDevice‘ , sure i’ll Post but I’m not sure I exactly understand what that screenshot looks like and where I access the view to clip. Could you give me some direction and post a sample of what would help you to see from me please? Thanks

bob

• Administrator

Here is a playing now and a zone display (the bottom of mine since there are so many zones).
You get a screen shot on the iDevice by pressing the power button and home button simultaneously.
Then go into your pictures and share them via email to yourself and attach them here or email them to bob (at) jriver (dot) com

KilburnKid

• Recent member

Thanks, Bob for clarifying. I've added four screenshots. Two from my iPad showing Now Playing and Zones available and also two from my Android phone using JRemote showing a track playing from the same MC Server and the zones available. Tests performed within the same timeframe so the differences between what Andriod and IOS see is seen at the same time. Thanks Kevin

bob

• Administrator

Interesting.
I assume both the iOS devices and Android are on the same local LAN without any VPN?

Can you send me a screen shot of the Zones showing in Playing now on the MC server?

I'm wondering if there is some issue with zone length or punctuation as far as JRemote iOS is concerned.

KilburnKid

• Recent member

Thanks. This is the screen capture from MC25 Server on my PC.

Kevin

bob

• Administrator

Thanks. This is the screen capture from MC25 Server on my PC.
Thanks for that.
I notice that the zones shown in your Android screenshot don't match the ones on your PC.
Are there other devices that come and go?
Usually the devices with the : in their names are MS Windows media sharing devices...

KilburnKid

• Recent member

Some of the zones are from other Windows machines which were not powered up when I took the screenshot of Now Playing on the MC Server

bob

• Administrator

Some of the zones are from other Windows machines which were not powered up when I took the screenshot of Now Playing on the MC Server
Are the zones on the other windows machines provided by MC?
I'm trying to duplicate your results still without luck.

KilburnKid

• Recent member

Yes the zones in other PC are provided by MC servers on different PC. As an additional test, I installed MC25 on a MacMini running latest OS and I see the same results when viewing from JRemote on my iDevices as well as seeing success on Android. This is really weird

bob

• Administrator

Yes the zones in other PC are provided by MC servers on different PC. As an additional test, I installed MC25 on a MacMini running latest OS and I see the same results when viewing from JRemote on my iDevices as well as seeing success on Android. This is really weird
Are there any trailing spaces or special characters in the zone name that wouldn't necessarily show up in the MC instances?
I'm sending you a PM....
Pages: [1]   Go Up