INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: YADB up to it?  (Read 1147 times)

dkhgoh

• nothing more to say...
YADB up to it?
« on: May 17, 2003, 10:09:16 pm »

I'm not trying to pour cold water over how excellent MC9 is, but the YADB sucks big time! I remember when I bought MC8, there was still support from CDDB, which to me has not failed my 800 CD collection except for just one CD. When newer versions came out without CDDB support, I resisted changing. The final straw came when there was no support for WMA Variable bit (which I think is excellent for listening in a digital player) in MC8. I was forced to change to MC9, hoping that YADB has improved. It has, but not enough. I put in 10 CDs and 2-3 can't be identified. And when I try to update, it can't upload to the server. I understand that it is currently being look into it so let's hope it is improved.

I have turned my nose at Musicmatch and Windows Media player because none of them have support from CDDB and useability of MC has been excellent. I recently turned to using Windows Media player and guess what? Out of 10 CDs, only 1 could not be identified. And I could upload the changes to the server.  What a difference since I used it 2 years back.

I know I may sound Whiny, complaining about a small thing like the CD database MC9 uses but with the amount of CDs I buy and the amount of ripping I do to listen music on my digital player, I consider this very important. I hope much will be done to repair this issue. I will gladly submit my own inputs if the server allows it. Pls help repair my somewhat disappointed image of MC9. Thanks!  :-[

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: YADB up to it?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2003, 03:46:06 am »

>> I know I may sound Whiny
Yes you do.

Maybe Gateley will have the submit fixed monday.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

LisaRCT

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2003, 04:33:04 am »

not much of a consolation, but I have found that many CD's that do not get found in YADB, or when I am unable to reach their server there are a couple of things that have helped......
1- try closing and restarting MC9 . . .  seems if you rip too many in sucession you lose YADB response (or perhaps this was just an illusion?)
2- put those CD's aside, move on to the rest of the stack, and try those again tomorrow

. . .  for some reason this has worked for me on several occaisions.

(And yes, I agree that CDDB is much better)

whoeveryouare

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2003, 05:06:01 am »

Well, didn't CDDB get the best of us all.  Providing a free service for years, while unwitting users happily entered their data for them...  Only to have the rug pulled out from under us all after they'd accumulated a massive, complete, incomparable database.  Nice move, that was.
Pages: [1]   Go Up