INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I need help with zones  (Read 860 times)

pgrisham

• World Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
I need help with zones
« on: April 19, 2019, 05:13:30 pm »

Here is my setup:

I have a computer and monitor in my bedroom. It is next to my TV mounted on the wall, which I use as the second monitor when needed. The sound for the computer goes through computer speakers, but of course the HDMI to the TV could also carry audio as well. I would like to have the audio ONLY go to the TV when I am watching videos (movie, TV show, etc.) since the TV will be in use. Otherwise, I would like the audio to be on the computer (maybe just listening to music).

I have tried playing with zones, but I am at a loss. I have tried the simple task of linking the 2 zones so that sound always plays out of both options, but that only works for music, never for video that plays on the TV. I run theater view on the TV as the second monitor, but audio plays on the TV only no matter what I do. And, the linked zones seems to unlink when I stop playback and I have to set it up again. I have tried linking TV to my computer audio andvoce versa, just in case the order mattered.  I even tried the ZoneSwitch rules, but that didn't work at all. I would be happy with simply linking the 2 zones so that both always play audio all the time. The TV is off most of the time so this would work when I am on the computer just listening to music.

What can I try next?

pgrisham

• World Citizen
Re: I need help with zones
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2019, 05:22:18 pm »

OK--I think I got Zone Switch to work, but I am still puzzled as to why I can't permanently link these 2 zones? Or maybe someone has better thoughts on how to do this?

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2019, 05:44:47 pm »

OK--I think I got Zone Switch to work, but I am still puzzled as to why I can't permanently link these 2 zones? Or maybe someone has better thoughts on how to do this?

Zonelink doesn't work with video; that may be causing the unlinking behavior you see.  Transient zones can also cause unlinking (i.e. if one of the zones is a network device that sometimes cannot be reached).  I've never seen automatic unlinking behavior with two local hardware zones that only play audio so if you're seeing that I'm at a loss.

Zoneswitch is probably the correct solution to this problem in any case.

pgrisham

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2019, 09:12:44 am »

Thanks for that info. I guess that explains it! The ZoneSwitch is working well, so I will go with that option.
Pages: [1]   Go Up