INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Legacy 3D in Theater View disappeared  (Read 1381 times)

Dmytro

• Junior Woodchuck
Legacy 3D in Theater View disappeared
« on: March 29, 2019, 11:05:49 pm »

Hi MC developers.

Previously there was an option to use legacy 3d for the Theater view, which was way snappier than the MC one for me.
Has it moved somewhere in the MC25? I cannot find it any more under the Theater view > Advanced options, and the Theater view got slow.

Media Center 25.017 x64, INTEL® NUC KIT NUC7i3BNH

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Legacy 3D in Theater View disappeared
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2019, 11:51:58 pm »

25.0.1 (1/9/2019)
25. Removed: The Legacy D3D9 Theater View mode has been removed in favor of the ANGLE-driven Theater View which uses either D3D9 or D3D11.

MC should still be using Direct3D if available on a Windows PC. You might notice a very slight change in "snappiness", because ANGLE is now an intermediate component, but it shouldn't be much. If noticeable at all.

Quote from: Hendrik
A log will tell you which backing renderer is being used. Look for "OGLCore" and surrounding OGL entries. It can theoretically also use Desktop GL as a backing renderer, but unless both D3D variants fail, it really should not get there, so I don't expect that to ever happen. Usually D3D11 is preferred if available, D3D9 used otherwise.

For example:

0003110: 9012: General: COGLCore::Initialize: OpenGL Version: OpenGL ES 3.0 (ANGLE 2.1.0.05c729f336ef)
0003110: 9012: General: COGLCore::Initialize: OpenGL Vendor / Renderer: Google Inc. / ANGLE (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB Direct3D11 vs_5_0 ps_5_0)
0003110: 9012: General: COGLCore::Initialize: OpenGL Shader Version: OpenGL ES GLSL ES 3.00 (ANGLE 2.1.0.05c729f336ef)

Check which renderer is being run on your NUC. It should be D3D11 I think, which would be better than the D3D9 the "Legacy D3D9" was using. There may be a slight change in GPU load which is what you are seeing, or more likely CPU load in handling the ANGLE translation layer. But your NUC with its Intel HD Graphics 620 should handle the load.

Make sure you upgrade your Video Driver to the latest. That can certainly make a difference with this technology.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Dmytro

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2019, 10:25:03 pm »

25.0.1 (1/9/2019)
25. Removed: The Legacy D3D9 Theater View mode has been removed in favor of the ANGLE-driven Theater View which uses either D3D9 or D3D11.

MC should still be using Direct3D if available on a Windows PC. You might notice a very slight change in "snappiness", because ANGLE is now an intermediate component, but it shouldn't be much. If noticeable at all.

Check which renderer is being run on your NUC. It should be D3D11 I think, which would be better than the D3D9 the "Legacy D3D9" was using. There may be a slight change in GPU load which is what you are seeing, or more likely CPU load in handling the ANGLE translation layer. But your NUC with its Intel HD Graphics 620 should handle the load.

Make sure you upgrade your Video Driver to the latest. That can certainly make a difference with this technology.

Hi RoderickGI, thanks a lot for your response.

I have updated the dirvers and checked the log - it is ANGLE (Intel(R) HD Graphics 620 Direct3D11 - thus all seems fine. The theater view did become a bit more responsive after the update, and the picture is much better than it was on legacy 3D setting before.
I have also removed any 'scalling' in Windows Display settings, which seemed to help a bit.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2019, 10:28:30 pm »

Excellent.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

elderavelas

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2019, 11:30:26 pm »

I used the Lecacy 3D option to fix a weird issue with the background pictures in Theater View with my old Dell Studio laptop. It has an ATI chipset that can no longer have the drivers updated. The issue is that the background pictures appear with a blueish tone, like if one of the color channels was missing. The cover art images appear correctly, though.
What can I do know to fix this issue now that the legacy option is no longer available?
Thanks.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2019, 01:45:03 am »

Are you using MC25 now?

As far as I can remember the only fix to a color cast was a driver update. I don't think it is a MC issue. If the issue didn't happen with D3D9, then maybe you can force MC to use D3D9. Maybe by removing D3D11 from the PC, if that is possible.

Check using the log method above to see what MC25 is using, and then start googling for a fix.

Financisto

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2019, 02:06:28 pm »

The problem is that Theater View doesn't work without this option. (Error starting OpenGL engine).

I updated NVidia drivers but it didn't help, it's quite fresh.

I run Window 7 x64 with GeForce GTX560 ti videocard. I have OpenGL drivers support 4.6

Please help! I`ve bought MC25 but it`s useless for me without theater view.
Thank you!

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2019, 02:12:16 pm »

On Windows 7, make sure you have all Windows Updates installed.
If that doesn't help, please post a log file.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

Financisto

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2019, 05:01:09 pm »

Please find attached the log

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2019, 05:09:14 pm »

The log does indeed indicate that you are lacking certain crucial Windows updates. I would strongly recommend to run Windows Update and install them.
If for some reason you cannot install Windows Updates, you'll most definitely need this one:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2999226/update-for-universal-c-runtime-in-windows

You can grab that one manually and hope its enough.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

Financisto

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2019, 09:31:35 am »

Yes, I've installed this update and it works! Thank you very much!  :) :) :)

elderavelas

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2019, 08:53:35 am »

Are you using MC25 now?

As far as I can remember the only fix to a color cast was a driver update. I don't think it is a MC issue. If the issue didn't happen with D3D9, then maybe you can force MC to use D3D9. Maybe by removing D3D11 from the PC, if that is possible.

Check using the log method above to see what MC25 is using, and then start googling for a fix.
Yes, I am using MC25 now, but still have MC24. It was working fine without the need to use the legacy option on earlier builds of MC24. I believe that the first build that I had with the color issue was the 24.0.70. May be the issue happened since 24.0.68, when there was a change in the D3D use, but I never had this build. I have to check what was the last build that I have that does not have the issue. To install the MC25 license, I had to update to a later build and then I got to fix the color issue with the legacy option.
I'll check the log to find out what D2D MC is using. If possible, I'll reinstall the MC24 that still works without the legacy option and then check the log, too.
Pages: [1]   Go Up