INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: database and classical music  (Read 827 times)

hstokar

• Recent member
database and classical music
« on: April 26, 2019, 07:09:04 am »

Unfortunately the database JRiver uses is not particularly good for classical music.   The performer field is very often populated witt the composer's name.   Gracenote (far from perfecvt) is much better in this regard.  Any way to integrate another database?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: database and classical music
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2019, 07:44:52 am »

Unfortunately the database JRiver uses is not particularly good for classical music.   The performer field is very often populated witt the composer's name.   Gracenote (far from perfect) is much better in this regard.  Any way to integrate another database?
JRiver uses our own database first, then FreeDB.  It's very good in general, but it has the problem all databases have with classical music -- there are no agreed upon standards.

There have been many discussions on this subject:

https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Tagging_Classical_Music

tbng

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2019, 12:20:46 pm »

I solved it but it takes a bunch of manual effort.  I put the composter's name (ln, fn, mi) in the album artist field and the performer(s) in the artist field (e.g., Fritz Reiner: Chicago Symphony).  You also have to be certain the metadata contains the proper genre as many do not say "classical."  I also prefer to break up albums with muliple selections, so the Mozart 40th and 41st symphonies on one album appear as two separate albums.  It's a different matter if the album is a collection of works by ten different composers.  Those I don't breakup.

Manfred

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2019, 12:37:36 pm »

Yes - for me it was also a lot of manual work. I did it the following way:
- I Used Composer field for composer
- I used the B&W way for Album: Verdi, Giuseppe - La forza del destino (1954 - Serafin) - Callas Remastered (it was a lot of manual work to get that done for all the stuff I have)
  other example: Wagner, Richard - Götterdämmerung (1964 - Solti) - BD (BD = Blu Ray disk edition)
- I introduced the work  field e.g. La forza del destino
- I used compilation field with following values: Artist, composer, conductor, genre, Orchestra, publisher, Record Lable, Theme
- Grouping field with values: Mixed, Modern, Classical
- for classical music Genre is always classical , i used subgenre for diversification
- Artists : all artist part of the album
- Conductor in the conductor field

There are many ways to tag classical music but there is no standard. My decision was along the most popular shops like HighResaudio, Linn etc. how they tag classical music.
WS (AMD Ryzen 7 5700G, 32 GB DDR4-3200, 2x2 TB SDD, LG 34UC98-W)-USB|ADI-2 DAC FS|Canton AM5 - File Server (i3-3.9 GHz, 16GB ECC DDR4-2400, 46 TB disk space) - Media Renderer (i3-3.8 GHz, 8GB DDR4-2133, GTX 960)-USB|Devialet D220 Pro|Audeze LCD 2|B&W 804S|LG 4K OLED )
Pages: [1]   Go Up