INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bluray Playing and Ripping For PC  (Read 2451 times)

Quarterwave

• Recent member
Bluray Playing and Ripping For PC
« on: May 02, 2019, 09:47:18 am »

Hi,

I have a bunch of blurays that I have purchased over the years that I would like to rip and store on my hard drive.

They are from various studio/production houses (FOX, Universal, Paramount, Dreamworks, Sony etc....), so I have no idea about the digital rights management and all that. I bought the products legitimately and would like them on my computer.

I have a bluray player/rewriter for my PC which is running Windows 7.

What version of media center can do that?
Basic Win 7 machine.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Bluray Playing and Ripping For PC
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2019, 09:49:25 am »

Just run MC 25.  We now even play the blu-ray menus!
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Quarterwave

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2019, 09:50:56 am »

Ok, thanks Matt. Just to confirm - will MC25 rip the blurays as well?

I keep on reading online that I need "AnyDVD" or something like that, and it's $100 just for one component of that software...
Basic Win 7 machine.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2019, 09:51:55 am »

Normally for ripping you will need AnyDVD.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

davelr

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2019, 10:26:35 am »

As an alternative, you can use MakeMKV to rip the movie to a MKV file which MC will play. This works fine if you're not interested in preserving the menus and other extra features. It takes a little learning curve (not too hard). I've ripped around 300 movies (both DVD and Bluray) this way and they play fine. You can select which soundtracks and subtitles to preserve in the file as well.

Of course, if you want the entire disc structure, you'll need to use something like AnyDVD and MC or other ripping software.

Quarterwave

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2019, 10:31:27 am »

Thanks davelr.

I agree - I don't need full menus etc... I just need to rip the file, encrypt it and have it play in 1080p with surround sound and sub woofer output.

Is it software stable?
Basic Win 7 machine.

tij

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2019, 10:48:52 am »

BluRay (and DVD) have copy protection on them ... MC does not do decrypting of the content ... so you need 3rd party tools to decrypt disc on fly (something like AnyDVD) for watching or ripping through MC

Alternatively (like davelr mentioned) you can use makeMKV to rip disk to MKV container ... it removes encryption while ripping ... then import those mkv to MC for playback

MakeMKV can also do folder structure rip if you are interested in menus and extras (I personally just rip main title to mkv file)

What makes MakeMKV interesting … it remux - so all video, audio, and subtitles are packed into mkv container without any quality loss (aka bit perfect) … and it can rip 3D blurays

What it cannot do is preserve Dolby Vision in rips

… and yes … makeMKV is stable
HTPC: Win11 Pro, MC: latest 31(64b), NV Driver: v425.31, CPU: i9-12900K, 32GB RAM, GeForce: 2080ti
Screen: LG 2016 E6
NAS: FreeNAS 11.1, SuperMicro SSG-5048R-E1CR36L, E5-1620v4, 64GB ECC RAM, 18xUltrastar He12-SAS3 drives, 2x240GB SSD (OS)

Quarterwave

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2019, 11:10:03 am »

Great, thanks tij.

I'll check it out.
Basic Win 7 machine.

darky

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2019, 11:45:22 am »

DVDfab is an alternative also. But very expensive.
Makemkv is free. Beta key is on the forum

If you try to rip an UHD blu ray..you need a special reader.

rec head

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2019, 02:42:59 pm »

If you try to rip an UHD blu ray..you need a special reader.

It doesn't sound like the OP is doing UHD but this is a very important note. I bought an extra.

I'm another MakeMKV fan. It is free to try and pretty straight forward. There are 2 problems you should be aware of:

1) Some movies use obfuscation as an annoying form of copy protection. So you put the disc in and instead of there being the movie there are what look like hundreds and you have to figure out the correct one to rip. I usually would just do a search to see which .mpls file to rip. I think (and hope others can elaborate) that having Java installed may take care of this. There is some software (maybe AnyDVD??) that will tell you which file is correct.

2) Similarly if you are going to rip TV shows they may not be in the correct order. You need to confirm the order and enter the season and episode tags then let MC lookup the info. I also use MC to rename the files to include the season and episode numbers. Then if for some horrible reason I ever need to re-import the files it will be easy.
----My way to figure out the episode order is probably not the best but it works. I put the disc in a regular stand-alone player and go through the disc and take a pic of the first scene of every episode.

All that said most movies will go pretty quick.

Quarterwave

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2019, 03:39:22 pm »

Thanks rec head!
Basic Win 7 machine.

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2019, 04:03:55 pm »

I wrote a little app which uses libbluray for main title detection, downloadable from https://github.com/3ll3d00d/madmeasurer/releases/tag/0.12.0 and some discussion in https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,120014.0.html

this will use the info produced from anydvd which IIRC is related to that  obfuscation point though

I think hendrik said he planned to surface the playlist info in the OSD as well
Pages: [1]   Go Up