INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Update Library From Tags  (Read 772 times)

Dingus

• Recent member
Update Library From Tags
« on: May 09, 2019, 10:57:39 pm »

Hello--I'm running MC 25 on Windows 10. I have a library of ~19,000 songs. In MC25 I have added ratings for many of them. I have then opened the All Files view, selected all the songs and then ran the Update Library From Tags function. When I check the files in the Windows drive, only a few show any ratings info.

I've tried doing the files one at a time, in small groups and the entire library but nothing seems to fix the problem.

Your assistance is appreciated.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Update Library From Tags
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2019, 11:27:16 pm »

Are you trying to write the Rating tag to the file, after entering the Ratings into the MC Library?

Then you should be running "Update tag from Library", not the other way around.

Check the Ratings in your Library again. You have probably overwritten them with the values in the file tags, which are blank by the sound of it. You can probably Restore a recent Library Backup to get back all that work, depending on how recently all this happened.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Dingus

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2019, 12:07:19 am »

I think I may not understand the MC25 terminology so let me explain. While I'm in the MC25 app and viewing a file I change the rating to three stars. I then use either of the commands of Update Tags from Library or Update Library From Tags. In both cases the three star rating I added to the file in MC25 is not reflected in the file meta data in my Windows folder. I hope this makes more sense.

Thanks.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2019, 01:26:02 am »

Yep, that is what I thought. You need to use the "Update tags (from Library)", not that other way around.

What I'm not sure of these days is if the [Rating] tag is written to the file by default. It is with my Library, but I may have changed that setting at some time from the default.

Go to "Options > Library & Folders > Manage Library Fields > select the [Rating] field and check that the "Save in file tags (when possible)" setting is checked. It may be unchecked by default.

Ratings set and saved this way are visible in Windows Explorer, as well as other tools. It is common not to save this tag to files, as it is a very personal thing, and is often left in the Library only.

The terminology I use is:
Field = metadata stored in the MC Library.
Tag = metadata stored in file.

That works for me, and I try to use that terminology consistently.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Dingus

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2019, 09:53:31 am »

I've tried both "Update tags (from Library)" and Update Library From Tags". Neither are adding the rating info. I also checked my settings and the correct box is checked. Any other ideas because stumped.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2019, 03:21:52 pm »

Are your files write protected?
Use the right-click "Locate on disk (external)" function to check that you are looking at the correct file, or more correctly MC is.
Find another tool that can look at tags instead of Windows Explorer, and check if the tags have been updated using that. Windows Explorer can be a bit funny in showing tags. I assume you are using Windows Explorer when you say you "check the files in the Windows drive".

Note:
Every time you run "Update Library From Tags" you are potentially overwriting fields in MC with blank values. Depending on the sequence you do things, you might be adding values in the MC fields, then updating the Library with the blanks currently in the file tags. Only use the "Update tags (from Library)" to fix this issue.

Dingus

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2019, 04:33:09 pm »

Howdy--So I checked the tags in a third party app and they are all appearing. Why they don't in a windows folder is anyone's guess but at least I know to start searching Windows forums now. Thanks for the advice.
Pages: [1]   Go Up