More > JRiver Media Center 25 for Mac

Audio Dropouts on 2018 Mac's and Newer

(1/2) > >>

JimH:
It's an Apple problem.  Turning off Time Machine might help.

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,24031.msg828535.html#msg828535

johnkaess:
i have a 2014 iMac which does this, and it's completely related to time machine. when it backs up to my external drive, i get drop outs. When it isn't running a back up, everything works great.

johnkaess:
Also, under Options/Audio/Audio Devices/Device Settings select 1000 milleseconds under buffering. It doesn't completely fix the problem, but it does reduce the number and length of dropouts.

F Ribeiro:
my 2014 mac mini does this.
load decoded file into memory solved my problem.
Don't know why.

Dennis in FL:
I have a 6 month old Macbook pro and I also have a 2014 Mac -- I tried both with USB DAC and they both had dropouts.   I have the buffering at 1000 and have fiddled with everything seemingly related to no avail.   I'm not sure I can blame it on Time Machine........   Right now - I have TM off and will leave it off for a day or two as a test.  I didn't check if the MacBook was backing up when I got the dropout, but 2018 MACs have other audio problems so I haven't repeated.  But also, when I used the laptop, the library was still with the 2014 desktop Mac - so not a good test.

As a last ditch effort - I just bought a Raspberry Pi 4 (I have a Master license) and will attempt to use it as a client with the Mac as the server.   I have the possibility of either USB/DAC output or HDMI with the Raspi.   If the Desktop Mac controlling the library still is the problem,  I can set up an external USB drive with the Raspi, I also have a 8 year old Windows PC (mini Dell) in a box somewhere - I could dedicate it to MC. 

But, for me, the MAC is the best solution (different computers will complicate my world) if I can get it to reliably playback (but all in all, I've tired of serious troubleshooting with this one).  This seems a problem worth escalating to Apple tech support if TM related.   Does JRiver have a contact at Apple for this sort of problem?   

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version