INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sorting Collections  (Read 987 times)

IAM4UK

• World Citizen
Sorting Collections
« on: May 12, 2019, 11:58:34 am »

Media Center Theater View is superb, especially in its customization. Add the power of TAGs, and of course the possibilities for how to display and sort various media is phenomenal!

I have a Theater View item called "Collections," that is based on a rule sorting MOVIE sub-types by the SEQUEL tag, which I use to group all manner of movies, not just actual sequels. (For example, every 3D movie gets tagged SEQUEL = 3D, so that in "Collections," they all show up together in the "3D" collection. Every 007 movie gets tagged SEQUEL = Bond, and those therefore also appear together in a collection.)

Within those Collections, I have items sorted by Date, so that Bond collection shows up from Dr. No through SPECTRE, and other collections are also chronological by release.

Question:  Does anyone know how to sort the actual list of Collections in such a Theater View item?  These various collections in that item show up in a seemingly random order, and I'd like to have the list of Collections show in a predictable way. Thanks!

Moe

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Hi
Re: Sorting Collections
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2019, 02:56:05 pm »

I think I know what you're talking about but I am not 100% sure, can you take a screenshot of the screen in question and show/tell us how you have things setup in Theaterview settings?

IAM4UK

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2019, 08:12:34 pm »

Settings within Theater View options, showing the list of items displayed, and how "Collections" are sorted by Year...

IAM4UK

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2019, 08:17:45 pm »

The list of collections, which get randomly ordered. I'd like to control their order...

IAM4UK

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2019, 08:18:43 pm »

A sample collection ("Bond"), properly ordered chronologically, as set in the Options...

IAM4UK

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2019, 10:48:56 pm »

Tried that, Moe, thanks for the suggestion.
That doesn't work, however. The "Sort by" modifier sorts WITHIN the Collections, it doesn't sort the Collection list. And the order of the collection list does not make sense with Year being the criterion, as the items in the list are not chronological. For example, the earliest Bergman is 1946, but it comes after "1950s" in the list.

Moe

• MC Beta Team
  • Hi
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2019, 11:13:05 pm »

Sorry, deleted my msg before I saw you had replied.  I am confused by your setup. 

I have a similar grouping, but I made a custom field called Collections.  To test this out though I copied my value from my collection field over to the sequel field since it's not a field I use.

When I try and replicate what you've done I just get a list of all of my movies without the grouping.  Here is how I have it set up and the results.

Which results in

I don't understand how you're getting the grouping without another level.

Here is how I have my collections set up.  Which achieves what I believe you want.

Which results in my collections sorted alphabetically

And then here is a collection, I used Bond as well, sorted by date

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2019, 12:05:09 am »

The difference was that IAM4UK had his Collections View set as a top level menu item. That was wrong, or at least gives less functionality and requires more settings than putting it under Video or Movies.

The way you have built your View is the way I would have done it as well Moe. Specifically, with "Collections" in the "Details" area, which allows you then to sort inside the Grouping as you wish.

Actually, for my movie collections, I have a "Series" View nested under the "Movies" menu item, so that the View displays only Movies. Then I just use the [Series] field in the "Details" area, and sort by date in the "Set rules for file display" dialogue. Movies are grouped by Series and sorted by [Date]. No other special handling required.

I see that is exactly how you have built your "Collections" View Moe, and you also have a "Series" View. So, we must be doing it right then!
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

IAM4UK

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2019, 09:26:00 am »

My "Collections" item was nested under "Movies," but I un-nested it because it requires fewer inputs to get to it that way.
When it was nested under "Movies," its bizarre ordering was still a problem.

Moe

• MC Beta Team
  • Hi
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2019, 10:14:54 am »

Nest it back under movies and then set it up like I have above.  The important part being adding [Sequel] to the details section.  Highlight [Sequel] in the box and then click Edit... on the edit screen you will be given another sorting option.  Set that to Ascending and it should then be alphabetical.

IAM4UK

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2019, 01:27:52 pm »

Nest it back under movies and then set it up like I have above.  The important part being adding [Sequel] to the details section.  Highlight [Sequel] in the box and then click Edit... on the edit screen you will be given another sorting option.  Set that to Ascending and it should then be alphabetical.

Yes, that does work. Thank you. Too bad it cannot be in the "root" menu for easier access...

Moe

• MC Beta Team
  • Hi
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2019, 07:52:16 am »

You can make it root, essentially.

Create a new Root level category like you had before and then nest your category that's currently under Movies under your new root level category.  As long as it's the only category under the new root level category it will always open as there are no alternatives. 

IAM4UK

• World Citizen
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2019, 08:36:42 am »

You make it root, essentially.

Create a new Root level category like you had before and then nest your category that's currently under Movies under your new root level category.  As long as it's the only category under the new root level category it will always open as there are no alternatives.
This is why I appreciate this Interact Forum... Thanks, Moe!
Pages: [1]   Go Up