INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can't get Remote View display expression to work  (Read 379 times)

Mike Foran

• World Citizen
Can't get Remote View display expression to work
« on: May 19, 2019, 10:28:38 am »

I'm trying to create a custom view for JRemote and Panel, using an expression to display the list. I've done this before and it worked fine but for some reason this one isn't displaying properly.

I have created two library fields, "Composition" and "Comp Name." Both are strings. For my remote view, I have created a library item "Composition" with two categories, "Composer" and an Expression. The expression groups by [Composition] and should display using the expression "[Composition] - [Comp Name]". The screenshot makes this easier to see.

However, the remote view completely ignores the display expression. I can put anything in here and it's ignored. The list only shows up using just the Composition data and not Composition + Comp Name. This is consistent in both JRemote and Panel.

I can't seem to figure what I'm doing wrong. What am I overlooking?

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Can't get Remote View display expression to work
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2019, 08:34:11 pm »

I recall there being weirdness with the "expression" versus "expression to display".  I kinda sorta remember expression to display being ignored in some views.

I recommend a few things:

1.  Try just using expression and leaving expression to display blank. 
2.  Develop these kinds of views in Standard View.  Once they work there, try to get them to work in JRemote after.  I also recall there being extra weirdness with JRemote views, though I can't say anything specific.  I just remember there being some inconsistencies from time to time.  Also, JRemote sometimes needs to be completely restarted (kill it from IOS or reboot the IOS device) before it will see new views.  I think you also might need to restart MC in some cases when adding or changing JRemote views.  All of these reasons add up to developing views in Standard View first, then porting them over to JRemote.

Good luck.

Brina.

Mike Foran

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2019, 07:11:48 am »

Thanks Brina. I have "solved" it with a workaround. I created a new library field called "Composition Name" with is generated from the expression:

Code: [Select]
[Composition]ifelse(!isempty([Comp Name]),/ ・[Comp Name])
Then, I use 'Composition Name' instead of Expression in the mobile view category, so it tiers from 'Composer' to my generated composition list. This seems to do the same thing that I was trying to do directly. It's not the neatest solution but it works.

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2019, 07:06:27 pm »

Glad to hear it.  Making custom calculated library fields is a good solution to numerous issues with MC.  Glad it worked for you.  :)

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up