INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Radio Tuner  (Read 1903 times)

escaflo

• Galactic Citizen
  • And the answer is.... 42!
Radio Tuner
« on: May 14, 2003, 08:17:23 pm »

Is support for FM Radio Tuner going to be added or is it already in there???

I've got a leadtek winfast tv 2000xp tv/fm tuner card and i seriously hope to get the radio to work inside MC

also is it possible to actually fine tune the tv reception in MC itself?
Don't Panic!

LisaRCT

Re: Radio Tuner
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2003, 06:47:52 am »

dum question here,
but with all the fine commercial-free 'radio' on the internet, why would one wish to listen to FM with it's commercial ads, poor sound quality, and porrer programming?
may I suggest:  http://www.radioparadise.com  ?

Eiffel

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2003, 07:57:55 am »

Good FM can sound really good, especially when most internet radios stream a reduced/compressed bandwidth signal...

NPR is -almost- commercial free, and sounds way better on my FM tuner than on the internet...

Some very good radio stations (WBRU in Providence, for instance) have also stopped streaming for copyright reasons as well... and not all local radios are available on the net

DocLotus

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Retired and; Loving It!!!
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2003, 08:02:54 am »

I too would like to see FM radio tuning included in MC.  I have discussed this in great length with JimH on a couple of occasions.

It may not happen because PC FM tuners are a dying breed.

Two years ago I did a web search for FM tuner cards & found a lot of hits. Two months ago I wanted to buy a new FM tuner card & could find very few web hits.  I looked for several days until I finally found a PCI card (GemTek sold by CalSoft out of Great Britain.

All the stores used to sell FM tuner cards but you will be hard-pressed to find one in a store today.  With all the competition from TV, Web Radio, Cable music, Dish & Direct TV, CD's DVD's, etc, there is not much room left for plain old FM radio on a computer.

I listen to KUHF FM 88.7 Houston, TX Public Radio.

* 100,000 watts.
* Very clean signal.
* No commercials.
* Great programming (mostly Classical, plus a lot of other programs).
* Local news, weather, & what's going on in the city.
* No modem required!

We also have a great jazz Public Radio station in Houston that I sometimes listen to.  It also has a very clean signal.

I'm using a GemTek FM PCI Radio Tuner card.  Works great.

I'm still using a 56K modem & have found like most other people still using modems that on-line radio is pretty bad, poor quality, drop outs & ect.  My local FM stations have none of those problems.

I do find myself listening most of the time to Digital Cable DTS radio.  We have 46 very clear DTS channels in Houston with cable service.  Similar with Direct TV & Dish Network.
MC... Latest version, 1 Mini PC, w/ Server.
TV... USA, ZIP 77036, Std view, Full screen, Not detached, Silicon Dust Guide, OTA, ATSC 1.
MC Audio... Realtek HD 7.1, MP3 Ext, Basic playback.
MC Control... Key, Mouse w/ G HUB.
Windows... 10 Pro, 64 bit, All MS updates.
Hardware... Beelink AMD GR5 Pro Mini PC, 16GB memory, 3 internal HDD's w/ 4.5 TB storage, 8 TB external storage.
1 SiliconDust HD HomeRun Connect Quatro, 1 SiliconDust HDHomeRun Flex Quatro, Amped Antenna w/ splitter.

escaflo

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2003, 09:43:24 am »

nah it is just as i said, the fm tuner came with the tv tuner card..  it was just that since it came with the tv tuner that makes me decide to use it.

i kinda got a low bandwidth connection as such i dun really like to listen to online radio. i tend to get a lot of disconnection and buffering in betweens.

well, i guess i will be patiently waiting for the day when mc add in radio support.
Don't Panic!

escaflo

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2003, 09:47:16 am »

oh while i am at this, i might as well ask this question here too. is it possible to fine tune the tv channel inside MC?

i have very bad reception with my tv tuner card but at least when i am using the software that comes bundle with my tv tuner card i sometimes can fine tune the channel such that it at least color albeit with quite a lot of distortion. but inside mc, all i get are black and white and i can't seem to be able to fine the option to fine tune it.

i am using the leadtek winfast tv 2000xp tv card. if anybody got any idea on this, please let me know. :)
Don't Panic!

DocLotus

• Retired and; Loving It!!!
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2003, 11:50:33 am »

Don't know about fine tuning a TV channel.

Most of the tuners I have seen do an automatic scan & lock to the found channels.  Usually all you can do is select to use the found channel or not use it.

If you are not getting a good picture it sounds like there is something else wrong.  Do you have a reguler TV that you can hook the same incoming TV cable to.

What is you TV source... Antenna, Cable, Dish?

I'm wondering if it may be a weak signal problem if from an antenna.
MC... Latest version, 1 Mini PC, w/ Server.
TV... USA, ZIP 77036, Std view, Full screen, Not detached, Silicon Dust Guide, OTA, ATSC 1.
MC Audio... Realtek HD 7.1, MP3 Ext, Basic playback.
MC Control... Key, Mouse w/ G HUB.
Windows... 10 Pro, 64 bit, All MS updates.
Hardware... Beelink AMD GR5 Pro Mini PC, 16GB memory, 3 internal HDD's w/ 4.5 TB storage, 8 TB external storage.
1 SiliconDust HD HomeRun Connect Quatro, 1 SiliconDust HDHomeRun Flex Quatro, Amped Antenna w/ splitter.

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2003, 12:15:49 pm »

About fine tuning TV, DocLotus has pretty much said it. I use DirectShow interface, which does automatic fine tuning when you scan for channels.

About FM radio, no it is not currently integrated in MC. If your TV card has FM on it, the only way to get to it as of now is to go to the Advanced Properties page on TV Configuration and double click "TV Tuner ..." in the list box. From there you may be able to tune to an FM station.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

whoeveryouare

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2003, 01:14:04 pm »

dum question here,
but with all the fine commercial-free 'radio' on the internet, why would one wish to listen to FM with it's commercial ads, poor sound quality, and porrer programming?

One reason is to listen to local FM stations.

jaylopez

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2003, 05:17:48 pm »

dum question here,

I use my FM tuner to record Howard Stern's radio show as an mp3 file.  Then sync it with my Ipod.  Listen in the car (or around the house streaming with MC).  By recording it, I can skip all the commercial breaks and fast forward through the boring stuff.  Since the content is so disposable, I record in mono and at a low quality setting.  An hour segment is about 24MB.
Pages: [1]   Go Up