INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Shuffle - Remember What's Been Played?  (Read 390 times)

mx4789

• Recent member
Shuffle - Remember What's Been Played?
« on: June 08, 2019, 11:28:12 am »

Is there anyway to have the shuffle function track what has been previously played and not repeat it? And by that, I mean over a period of time, or until you manually "reset" it. I like listening to my library on shuffle and my goal is to have it play every song in my library. However, whenever I stop playing and switch to something else, or close the panel browser everything gets reset. In other words I'd like for the system to "pick up where it left off" the next time I choose my playlist and click shuffle.
How would that work for more than one client though?  Hmm... maybe track played items by IP?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Shuffle - Remember What's Been Played?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2019, 01:25:11 pm »

You could save the list as a playlist or a Car Radio button.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Shuffle - Remember What's Been Played?
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2019, 05:32:36 pm »

Set "Options > General > Behaviour > Remove files from Playing Now after they are played".
You should probably also set "Options > Audio > Advanced > Advance to the next track when stopping after the current track" so that MC advances to the next track, and deletes the played track from the Playlist.
Select a View that shows all your tracks.
Shuffle.
Save the contents of the View as a Playlist.
Done.

As you play the Playlist, tracks will be removed from Playing Now, leaving only unplayed tracks.
MC will save Playing Now in the "Recent Playing Now's" Playlist Group when you stop playback and start it again, and at other times. You might want to research that and understand when it does save one of those lists. You could just start playing the most recent Playlist in that group later, but the saving of the recents is a bit hit and miss in terms of reliably recording your last position. So you probably should select everything left in Playing Now and save it as a new Playlist, or to an "In process" Playlist, whenever you finish a listening session, so you know you have a Playlist saving where you are up to. Perhaps, as Jim suggests, save it to a Car Radio button, so the "In Process" Playlist is always in the same location and easy to find.

Or if you never clear the playlist, just start playing Playing Now again later, with the remaining tracks. As long as you don't have "Options > General > Advanced > Clear Playing Now on exit" checked, Playing Now will persist between restarts.

Of course, you could also just set up a Smartlist that makes use of the [Last Played] field, to play only files that haven't been played for a while. But that wouldn't do exactly what you described.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner
Pages: [1]   Go Up