INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRiver does everything better than iTunes... but what about this?  (Read 1054 times)

rsg

• Galactic Citizen

Sure don't miss iTunes after quitting a few years ago and fully embracing JRiver. As far as I can recall though, there is one feature I miss. With iTunes, if I tried ripping a CD that was already in the library, I would get some sort of message like 'File already exists'. Now, with over 50,000 tracks, I am not always sure about what is already tucked away in the vault. If I inadvertently rip a CD a second time, JRiver just happily rips a duplicate...no warning that I have done this before. Unless anyone knows of a box somewhere I should have ticked.....

lepa

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: JRiver does everything better than iTunes... but what about this?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2019, 03:42:24 am »

I don't think there is anything like that in MC currently so I don't think you can see this before without checking manually. You can see it only afterwards  from the import report as complete album field would turn to false as there would be same track number twice for same artist\album.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2019, 08:56:40 am »

I had this same problem recently and would be happy to see it fixed.  I'll take a look next week.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

franswilco

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2019, 10:34:06 am »

Sometimes I re-rip CDs or re-buy downloads from Qobuz because of higher sample rates, bit depth and bit rates. It would be neat if there was an easy way to automatically update the library with those higher quality files, maintaining tagging information such as number of plays and lyrics, and not worry about the manual labor.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2019, 07:57:27 am »

Coming next build:
Changed: When you start a rip, the database will be checked to see if the rip has already occurred and you will be messaged to confirm the rip if a duplicate is found.

Thanks for the suggestion.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

DocLotus

• Retired and; Loving It!!!
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2019, 09:02:02 am »

Good show, Matt. Have always wondered about that. Glad to see it finally getting fixed.
MC... Latest version, 1 Mini PC, w/ Server.
TV... USA, ZIP 77036, Std view, Full screen, Not detached, Silicon Dust Guide, OTA, ATSC 1.
MC Audio... Realtek HD 7.1, MP3 Ext, Basic playback.
MC Control... Key, Mouse w/ G HUB.
Windows... 10 Pro, 64 bit, All MS updates.
Hardware... Beelink AMD GR5 Pro Mini PC, 16GB memory, 3 internal HDD's w/ 4.5 TB storage, 8 TB external storage.
1 SiliconDust HD HomeRun Connect Quatro, 1 SiliconDust HDHomeRun Flex Quatro, Amped Antenna w/ splitter.

rsg

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2019, 10:15:12 am »

Thanks, Matt. Really appreciate the willingness of the MC team to listen and respond to user suggestions. It's part of what makes it such a great program.

Vocalpoint

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2019, 12:10:00 pm »

Sometimes I re-rip CDs or re-buy downloads from Qobuz because of higher sample rates, bit depth and bit rates. It would be neat if there was an easy way to automatically update the library with those higher quality files, maintaining tagging information such as number of plays and lyrics, and not worry about the manual labor.

I do this quite frequently (Except the re-rip part :) but the first trick is to ensure your "new" files are named the same as the old one. On my machine -  I move the "replacements" to a local tag folder and use the MC Rename Copy Move tool to apply my standard file naming conventions. Then I move the new files to the server (using Windows) and confim the message to overwrite.

Then I hop into MC, go to the existing album - right click on it and choose Update Tags From Library. This will ensure all your existing metadata stays correct while getting the new files into play.

Takes maybe a minute to pull in a replacement album now. Would be nice to have some sort of official Replace mode in the RM&C tool but this works for now.

VP
Pages: [1]   Go Up