INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: External DSD decoding not working  (Read 809 times)

exponent

• Recent member
External DSD decoding not working
« on: June 29, 2019, 11:27:05 am »

I have an external DAC connected via USB to my HTPC. I followed the directions in the Wiki. I have set output to ASIO and set bitstreaming to DSD. I get an error whenever I try toplay DSD files. The files are fine as I can play them on another device I have. This is a licensed version of JRiver. I have attached a screenshot of the error. Any help is appreciated.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: External DSD decoding not working
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2019, 12:55:25 pm »

Does the DAC support native bitstreaming or DoP. You might want to try selecting DoP in the ASIO driver.  You also should have Exclusive Mode set in Windows setup for Audio.

What is the DAC?

YuraF

• Recent member
  • Eleventh Earl of Mar
Re: External DSD decoding not working
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2019, 02:03:09 pm »

I seem to have been experiencing the same problems with connecting my JRiver with my Marantz NA8005 in DSD mode. Turning the transmission from ASIO to WASAPI DoP removed all the problems.
There's no place like home!

My system:
Marantz NA8005 (Cirrus Logic CS4398) / Burson Audio Soloist / Sennheiser HD800
QED Performance Graphite USB 1.0m / 2 silver coated coaxials DAXX V99 0.75m / Supra LoRad power cables
DELL Inspiron 5770 Windows 10 Home

exponent

• Recent member
Re: SOLVED External DSD decoding not working
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2019, 03:06:53 pm »

I noticed the even FLAC files were refusing to play. So I decided to go back to a known working config. I uninstalled the ASIO driver, rebooted and configured JRiver to use my "standard" SPDIF audio output. This worked fine. Then I reinstalled the ASIO driver, rebooted and configured JRiver to use the ASIO driver with DSD. Now everything works with respect to decoding Flac and DSD audio. I had previously tried removing and reinstalling the ASIO driver with no success. This time however I got the configuration working with SPDIF and only then reinstalled the ASIO driver. That did the trick. DoP  is NOT what you want to use  if you are decoding DSD externally. It converts everything to PCM. I now have a separate library issue to solve.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2019, 03:38:38 pm »

DoP  is NOT what you want to use  if you are decoding DSD externally. It converts everything to PCM.

DoP  (DSD over PCM) is a perfectly acceptable was to send DSD to a DAC if it supports DoP. In fact, with Apple it is the only way to output DSD.

DoP is a format that packs the 0 and 1 s from the DSD signal into a PCM wrapper and sends that to the DAC. The DAC unpacks the 0 and 1 s to exactly the same form as they started. It is a bit perfect way to get DSD data to a DAC that does not accept the high sample rates of DSD.

More here :

https://dsd-guide.com/dop-open-standard#.XRpuoetKjIU

YuraF

• Recent member
  • Eleventh Earl of Mar
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2019, 01:15:19 am »

It converts everything to PCM.

There's no conversion to audio information packed in DSD.
That's the universal truth. See the link above.
There's no place like home!

My system:
Marantz NA8005 (Cirrus Logic CS4398) / Burson Audio Soloist / Sennheiser HD800
QED Performance Graphite USB 1.0m / 2 silver coated coaxials DAXX V99 0.75m / Supra LoRad power cables
DELL Inspiron 5770 Windows 10 Home
Pages: [1]   Go Up