INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Question about Library Sync  (Read 619 times)

NorthGeorgiaWX

• Recent member
  • It's a jeep thing... you wouldn't understand
Question about Library Sync
« on: July 02, 2019, 07:58:40 am »

I have 3 computers with the latest version MC on them, my laptop and two NUC's. I want to keep the two NUC's sync'd to the laptop library.

The files are all on a "D:" drive on each computer, all with the same folder names, so the structure and drive location match on every computer. . Actually, there are 4 root level folders as I keep my old MP3's separate from the FLAC and Hi-Rez FLAC files.

But I see in the sync setup a single file location for music, one for videos, etc. If that's the case, I can't use sync to keep everything the same. Am I correct in what I'm thinking? I would be nice to have a "Mirror Sync" check box to bypass the file location setup and use (if possible) the same locations as the master.

On a side note, I'll have about 500 files or so uploaded to Cloudplay in a few minutes after the current BIG playlist uploads. :-) Love it!

rossp

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Question about Library Sync
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2019, 07:23:49 am »

Could you not use something like:

D:\Music\Flac
D:\Music\MP3
D:\Music\HiResFlac

Then they are all separate but the music folder is D:\Music

Ross

NorthGeorgiaWX

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2019, 10:56:06 am »

That's exactly what I do, so yes. :-)

NorthGeorgiaWX

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2019, 11:00:50 am »

All three computers have these paths at the root of the D: drive, but not under a common music folder.

I guess what I need to know is...

If I check "Merge Files" without checking "File Paths", what is it going to do? Will it try to use the current d:\folder path(s)?
Since I can only specify one path if I check off "File Paths", I was thinking that might not be what I want to do.

I guess I'm just trying to understand how those options work together and what "MC"  does versus what "I" think it might do. I searched the Wiki's, searched here on the forum, but can't really find anything specific about what goes on in the background.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2019, 07:35:23 pm »

I found the Sync Library (File > Library > Sync Library...) function a bit unreliable when I tested it. YMMV though. Just make sure it is doing what you want. Check results.

If I check "Merge Files" without checking "File Paths", what is it going to do? Will it try to use the current d:\folder path(s)?

I think you are going to have to test what the function does. Create a small library using a subset of your files, stored in a different location to your normal files, and see what happens.

I didn't find any up to date information either. I got quirky results.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2019, 06:30:06 am »

Pages: [1]   Go Up