INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: re. problems with streaming media.  (Read 844 times)

Marko

re. problems with streaming media.
« on: May 12, 2003, 12:36:59 pm »

From the bug thread...
Problems with streaming media.

Using the following url...  http://62.25.96.7:80/rrs/

None of these problems existed in builds prior to the changes that removed the necessity for windows media player to be present.
1. streaming file is asf. media center reports it as .wma
2. with ASIO enabled, opening this file causes MC to crash, leaving windows repeating the buffered sound [presumably] over and over. Rebooting is the only way I've found to stop the noise.
In the player control panel:
3. MC does not display the stations tagline, instead it only displays 'windows media stream'
4. The time counter displays like so... minutes:seconds / Live - 20kbps. When this reaches 1 hour, it starts counting backwards.

On the plus side...
When all this worked as it should, vizualisations didn't work, and MC displayed the default message informing me of this fact, but now, I do get vizualisations, allowing me to get this after ripping their logo...

Would be nice to have the above problems fixed, and keep the viz too, please:)

Now running DX9a...
First test was to enable ASIO... The result is the same, ie. a crash and being left with the buffered sound repeating, but this time with an error message that might be more helpful...

I have to go to work so can't finish the other tests 'till the morning, but you have to admit, it doesn't look promising does it.

Any other thoughts/comments?
-marko

Media Center Registered 9.0.172 -- C:\Program Files\Media Center\

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 1 (Build 2600)
AMD Athlon 1598 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 1048 MB, Free - 691 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (xpsp1.020828-1920) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1106 (xpsp1.020828-1920)
Shell32.dll: 6.00.2800.1145 (xpsp2.021108-1929)wnaspi32.dll: 4.71 (0001) , ASPI for Win32 (95/NT) DLL, Copyright © 1989-2002 Adaptec, Inc. / Aspi32.sys: 4.71 (0001)

Ripping /   Drive M:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Drive Q:   Copy mode:ModeSecure   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Drive R:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: No /  Calc replay gain: No /  Copy volume: 32767
 Eject after ripping: No /  Play sound after ripping: No  

Burning /  Drive R: PLEXTOR  CD-R   PX-W1610A   Addr: 1:0:0  Speed:16  MaxSpeed:16  Use MJ Engine:Yes
 Test mode: Yes /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: Yes
 Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None

jredders2

Re: re. problems with streaming media.
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2003, 03:39:53 pm »

I tried the stream on my machine, but using the File->Open Streaming File... menu option.  It doesn't work, but the strange thing is this is what MC reports as the filename:
http://62.25.96.7/rrs/~~~stream~~~.mp3

So, my machine thinks it's an MP3!?

-John

Edit:
Even that strange link above works in Windows MediaPlayer, although it does claim it's a Windows Media v8 stream, not an mp3.

Aaaarrgghh, "Scotland's Best Variety of Music and Talk"'s current setlist is "Real Love".  I guess they do say "Best Variety", not "Best Music"... :)

Marko

Re: re. problems with streaming media.
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2003, 10:15:34 pm »

To get MC to open the originally posted url, you need to ensure MC is the default handler for .asf files, then not let the ie media bar thing-a-me handle it, then when you get the normal download dialogue, choose to open the file, not download it, and then MC should open up and take care of it. If you want to save it, add it to a playlist from the 'playing now' list.
Through the night it can be a bit grim, but you really should check out their breakfast show between 5 and 9am GMT, especially the first hour. some of Robin Galloway's "wind-up" phone calls are really top notch stuff too.

Right, now then, what about these buffer overrun, .asf displaying as .wma, time counting backwards problems?

any ideas or suggestions anyone?

Pages: [1]   Go Up