INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Feature Request : Date Functions  (Read 1321 times)

nila

Feature Request : Date Functions
« on: May 10, 2003, 10:13:31 am »

Hi :)
You removed all date functions that were previously in MC to try to get it all ironed out for the final release.
You've now released the final build so that hurdle is out the way.
Your also adding new features still so you obviously aren't locking down the feature set.

Can you PLEASE bring back date features and finish off this area.
I want to set up view schemes so that I can have a tree node where each node is:  year/week for my songs based on imported date.

it'd look something like this:

- week 1
- week 2
- week 3
- week 4
- week 52
- week 1

etc

Possibly even set it up so it was:

Year/Week/Day:

- Week 1
. - Monday
. - Tuesday
. - ...
. - Sunday

That way I could keep track of all my new songs VERY easily.
I could limit it to singles or albums only and use it as a VERY good way to keep track of my new songs and albums.

AV lets me do this by doing grouping by imported date and it works AMAZINGLY!!!
I have tabs for each date that I added new music to my collection on so I can find my new songs/albums easily.

MC REALLY NEEDS THIS!!!

If this was included with: Folder Monitoring which a LOT of people requested when it was mentioned, it would really let me keep track of my music perfectly.

GIVE US DATE FEATURES PLEASE!!

Marty3d

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Feature Request : Date Functions
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2003, 11:46:09 pm »

I totally agree!
It would be nice if you could specify how you wanted to see the date though.. I'm not that keen on viewing week numbers.. except for top lists... And while we're there: How about reworking the date system so that you can create real toplists? Like "this week's top hits" instead of all top hits like it's now. If you could set a smart list to "View top hits for last 7 days" or "View top hits for last month" it could be sooo cool!
But it requires that the last played system is date-based, not just lastplayed + 1.

Cheers,
/Martin

Cmagic

• Enjoying life with a little music....
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2003, 12:29:31 am »

Hi,

It is true that some kind of date/time formating feature would be welcomed. This is particulary true when organizing photos with MC. Indeed, Date/time taken is a crucial information to help retrieve photos. Therefore it would be very nice to have some flexibilty in the way it is used/displayed independantly of the locale used on the computer.

Edit: Martin, You can setup a "this week's top 100 hits" smartlist with the following rule : "[number plays]=>0 ~seq=[number plays] ~sort=[seq]-d ~n=100 lastplayed=<10080" 10080 mn is 7 days, you can change it to your liking.

C.
Until the color of a man's skin is of no more significance
than the color of his eyes.
Bob Marley (War)

Marty3d

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2003, 01:15:09 am »

CMagic: This is not entirely true... If I have played a file 15 times since imported, the only date stored is last played. So if I build a last weeks top hits, I get the most recent count, not the count within the scope... :(

whoeveryouare

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2003, 02:31:45 am »

If you want to keep track of "new music", why not just add the "Date Imported" column, and sort on it?  Or use "Recently Imported"?  Those are very simplistic suggestions, I know.  But if you had a tree view similar to the one you describe, would you ever really say something like "I wonder what I imported on the third Tuesday of March, 2002"?

Cmagic

• Enjoying life with a little music....
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2003, 03:56:47 am »

Yep Martin I see you point,

The rule only returns the "all time top hits" played last week, you really want the tracks most played last week but then it's not only a question of date. To do this MC should store some sort of playback history for every track, don't you think ?

Anyway, I find it's a lot of fun playing with smartlist rules. We don't always get exactly what we're looking for but sometimes we get some interesting results.

C.
Until the color of a man's skin is of no more significance
than the color of his eyes.
Bob Marley (War)

dylanstan

• Junior Woodchuck
  • I love MJ V9! At last cover view! Big Kiss!!!
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2003, 11:10:39 am »

i did a similar request some time ago, and Matt told me that they were working with the dates. Don't know exactly what does it mean, but i keep thinking that it won't be so hard.
Exactly my request it was to change the display of date imported to something like year/month/date (i choose this for sorting possibilities).
But by now i keep filling myself that. I've my own created playlists called news 2003-01, news 2003-02, etc. and this is something that could be done automatically (with smartlist) if the date were displayed in year/month. I'll keep waiting  ::)

This is how it appear in my media library

And about the top hits, it's another old request from me too, but without any luck.
I'd like the possibilities to create something called more or less autosmart top-hits list. i'd set the dates, (fi. from 2003-01-01, to 2003-01-31) and would like to know which songs i've listen in this time and how many times i've listened these songs in these days.
Right now it's impossible for what i know to know wich song has been the  most listened in a period of time, and i'm very interested in this.

PD. Nila: don't you think that it's a bit easier to make something like this:

-january
-february
-march
-january
-july
with the possibilities of add days and/or weeks?

If you want to keep track of "new music", why not just add the "Date Imported" column, and sort on it?  Or use "Recently Imported"?  Those are very simplistic suggestions, I know.  But if you had a tree view similar to the one you describe, would you ever really say something like "I wonder what I imported on the third Tuesday of March, 2002"?

i really don't need to know neither the day, not even the hour, but a lot of times i look for stuff that i imported some months ago (to know if it's burned, or 'cause i'm in a nostalgic moment). As i'm not so good with mathematics i don't use the date imported(when was 93 days , 23 hours ago?), and if it was displayed in date way it would be really useful

Listening to: 'Guerrilla' from 'Forces 1977-1982' by 'Terrorists' on Media Center 9.0

nila

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2003, 09:30:37 pm »

Yeah,
January, Feb, Mar, etc. etc. is probably a better way of doing it.

And I'd definitely LOVE to be able to sort like that.
That way I can be like: What was that song i was listening to a lot last summer when i was hanging out with all my friends.
Then just remember roughly when we were hanging out and be able to see which tracks I have from then.
It'd be great.

I also REALLY want to be able to customise the way that the date is displayed in my fields. The way it is currently is of no real use to me and kills it for me by providing too much info. Sometimes less is more and for me this is one of those times :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up