INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to add a second computer with JRiver  (Read 220 times)

BasMolly

How to add a second computer with JRiver
« on: May 03, 2024, 08:34:44 am »

I am running JRiver Media Center 32 on a Windows 10 Desktop. It gets its audio files from a NAS drive in the same home network.
Now I want to run a second computer, a Windows 10 Laptop and use it with the same NAS.
Are there any measures I must take beforehand to ensure that the Laptop shows the same screens?
I have spent a lot of time ensuring that the file names are all correct. I want these correct names to appear on the Laptop too, and I don't want to have to do all those edits all over again.

Thanks for any help at all!

jkauff

• World Citizen
Re: How to add a second computer with JRiver
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2024, 11:55:38 am »

The way I would do it is to set MC on the new computer to use a remote library, pointed to the library on the first computer. Someone else may have a different solution.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2024, 12:06:57 pm »

markf2748

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2024, 06:21:59 pm »

You have two choices for the 2nd computer.  Both will have identical media filenames:

1) Stand-alone installation pointing to the NAS media (per @JKauff) and using its own local Library.
or
2) Client-server model (per @JimH): the first computer is set up as a network server and the second connects to it as a client.  Both see the NAS media, but the second via MC's built-in remote server control and hence it uses the server's Library.   

Each has its pros and cons.  Which one is best for you depends on your requirements.  Note the second computer can switch between these modes by loading the corresponding saved "Library" under Tree > Playing Now > Playing from.

In both cases, the 2nd computer's Tabbed Views are its own.  There are various ways of synchronizing the Views between computers.  See for example the recent discussion (though the thread title is a little misleading):
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,138782.0.html

MGD_King

• It's not easy being me, but it sure is fun!
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2024, 09:09:10 am »

I don't use a NAS, but I share my drive on my Main PC with my network. I then save my library on my Main PC and then restore it to my Second PC. I map the shared network drive as the same drive letter as my Main PC. Works perfectly like I'm on my Main PC. The only drawback is that when I add or edit anything in the Main PC, I have to restore it on the Second PC.
Pages: [1]   Go Up