INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tool Bar Text  (Read 1330 times)

N0z1f

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Woo Hoo...
Tool Bar Text
« on: May 10, 2003, 08:29:35 am »

As you will see from the image below, toolbar text seems a bit hit and miss. I am using the 'selective text on right' setting. Some icons do not have a text label - is this what selective means ?  ?

You used to have a 'Find' icon but now I use the 'Media Libruary' icon which is fine but maybe new users would find a search or find icon more intuitive.

Congrats to all on the release on MC9. Keep uo the good work. MC Rocks

N0z1f

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Woo Hoo...
Re: Tool Bar Text
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2003, 08:43:31 am »

Sorry forgot to include this:
Media Center Registered 9.0.172 -- D:\Program Files\J River\Media Jukebox\

Microsoft Windows XP 5.1 Service Pack 1 (Build 2600)
Intel Pentium III 665 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 523 MB, Free - 146 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (xpsp1.020828-1920) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1106 (xpsp1.020828-1920)
Shell32.dll: 6.00.2800.1145 (xpsp2.021108-1929) / wnaspi32.dll: Internal ASPI Layer

Ripping /   Drive Z:   Copy mode:ModeBurstBigBuffer   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
 Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: Yes /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
 Eject after ripping: No /  Play sound after ripping: Yes  Soundfile:   chord.wav

Burning /  No burners found.
 Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: No
 Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None

gkerber

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2003, 08:47:47 am »

Already given my opinion many times, but since seems to be a new thread, I guess I'll give it again.

Please restore 'text and icons" or even "text only" as Netscape used to have.

How would one know what those little icons mean?

Lets see, third from the left is.....

phelt

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2003, 11:04:15 am »

Frankly, I'm perplexed as to why this was done at all, ie. removed though it was in MJ8. I don't know of another program that allows toolbar text/icon customization that has so few options. IMO, "Selective text" is useless since it's not the user who gets to do the selection.

Given their track history, I think there's every likelihood that J River will fix this if enough threads/posts complain about it.

nila

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2003, 11:45:00 am »

rant rant rant - I complain!

I'd love to be able to select which items get the text for selective text :)

whoeveryouare

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2003, 04:38:10 pm »

I've never, ever seen a toolbar with a "selective text on right" option that lets the user actually select which buttons have the text.  Being able to show text under all the buttons, though, would save us all a good deal of sanity.

nila

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2003, 11:33:47 pm »

I've never seen it either but then again I've never seen  a program who's right click has a memory - both are nice features.
It would be great - I agree that all is good too but all takes up too much space which is why it'd be nice if we could select which with all as an option.

I personally REALLY want it on 'playing now' as this is an important area.

V-Man

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2003, 12:55:51 am »

I don't know of another program that allows toolbar text/icon customization that has so few options. IMO, "Selective text" is useless since it's not the user who gets to do the selection.

True, though to be fair, Internet Explorer works the same way. Would be a nice option, though quite a way down the  list of priorities. The way I'd change the interface would be to include a checkbox beneath the list of selected buttons called 'Show Text' that let you set this (or unset it) for one button or a multiple selection. Ideally as an extra indication, the text on the list item for a button which has text 'turned off' would appear dimmed. And when buttons are selected that are not all the same setting the checkbox should be in its third (indeterminate) state.

gkerber

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2003, 07:48:31 am »

What is easier to read?  (hint: the first is....)

v8 toolbar

v9 toolbar

phelt

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2003, 02:19:50 pm »

True, though to be fair, Internet Explorer works the same way.

Not exactly. IE and most programs with customizable toolbars allow you to show text for all buttons and to use small or large icons. My point wasn't that selective text should be customizable, but that selective text usually sucks in all applications.

Aside from the issue of having to memorize glyphs in order to use the buttons on the toolbar, I like to show all text labels because it makes the target area for each button larger. For me, larger = easier to hit = easier to use. This is especially true at higher resolutions.

gkerber

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2003, 02:40:16 pm »

I agree on the target areas, which is why I put TWO seperators between each little icon on my toolbar. to seperate them for visual identification, doesn't help with the clickable target areas, but does help with my eyes.
Pages: [1]   Go Up