INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Build 71 impressions  (Read 378 times)

RainCaster

• Recent member
Build 71 impressions
« on: July 12, 2019, 12:28:15 pm »

I finally go around to updating JRiver because I had stopped traveling for a while. In the interim, I have changed my network at home a bit. I stopped trying to use a Win 7 machine as a JR server and instead put everything on a NAS box, using an SMB3 fileshare. Crude, but effective and has much more room for growth (10+ TBs now). Eventually I will try to get JR runnning natively on that NAS box, so I bought the Master license so that I could do that at some later date.

The good
So I installed the default (32 bit) build on my Win10 desktop. Didn't even notice that I was offered the 32 bit version by your website, I just took it. Next time, I will look for the 64 bit version, but not a big deal. Connected up to my NAS library folder, and it began to load in all my music files. After 3 hours of 200-400MB/s traffic, I had my list of artists/genres, etc. just like I had before with the Win7 JR server. Artwork now loads from the internet very quickly and with little interaction on my part. VERY NICE!
The bad
I get a lot of skips on MP3 tracks that don't do that on my phone (Android, using PowerAmp). I will start watching network traffic to see if that is the issue. It looks like you are doing minimal file buffering and assuming that any files coming through the normal file IO are local. Is there a setting where I can increase buffer size?
The niggly
The miniplayer now shows the album art when your mouse hovers over one area. Nice. However, I would like to see the full text of the artist/album/songname displayed when I hover over that part of the app window.

RainCaster

• Recent member
Re: Build 71 impressions
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2019, 12:36:07 pm »

Found the setting to buffer the whole file. Setting that seems to have reduced the problem.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2019, 01:05:21 pm »

You shouldn't need to do that.

Take a look at the Weird Problems link in my signature for ideas.

Antivirus is always a good candidate.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2019, 09:56:50 pm »

The Bad
I assume that you found the "Options > Audio > Settings > Memory Playback..." settings.

You should have looked at the "Options > Audio > Audio Device > Device Settings > Buffering" and " "Options > Audio > Settings > Prebuffering" settings.

Or it could be something weird like your antivirus software as Jim suggests. You don't give enough information to know exactly what your setup is.

The niggly
It actually wouldn't be a bad idea for the Mini View to respect the settings under "Mini View right-click > Player > Display Options" so that hovering over the image showed that same thing as Playing Now. Lyrics could then be checked by hovering. Neat.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner
Pages: [1]   Go Up