INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: NUC Server  (Read 832 times)

MikeO

• Citizen of the Universe
NUC Server
« on: July 19, 2019, 04:52:17 am »

Hi

I have a specific need , i think not met by the Id.

I need to miniaturize my server . My idea is an Intel NUC  i7 , with 16 gb RAM, running Windows with a 250 Gb SSD for system etc and a 2.5 in 4Gb Laptop drive for Audio, and a small USB 3 Drive for Video

Plugged into my Router to act as an Audio & Video MC Server. at the Renderer end nothing changes , Cambridge Audio CXN for Audio, MyGica 1960 for video . That way I maintain Tidal, Netflix plus all my local goodies.

I plan to install the Win 64 option of Roon as well with a RPi End Point

All this currently runs on a desktop with the same spec does anyone have any ideas if this will work OK before I plough ahead and buy bits ?

Mike

tij

• MC Beta Team
Re: NUC Server
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2019, 06:09:07 am »

My experience ... if things gonna be run 24/7 ... external USB drive burn out fast ... in my case due to temperatures (plastic casing is not so good for heat dissipation ... and if someone accidentally blocks its vent holes ... even worst) ... 5 4TB usb drive went out within a month after someone crowded their space when I was absent

Putting HDD to sleep is not an option in my use case ... as usage is unpredictable (even during nights) ... and my understanding spinning disk up several times a day is more stressful than running it 24/7

It’s not data that worries me so much ... I have discs and can rip them again ... but time that takes to rip those again is awful

So for HDD I prefers casing with good fan ventilation for HDD

Just my 2 cents
HTPC: Win11 Pro, MC: latest 31(64b), NV Driver: v425.31, CPU: i9-12900K, 32GB RAM, GeForce: 2080ti
Screen: LG 2016 E6
NAS: FreeNAS 11.1, SuperMicro SSG-5048R-E1CR36L, E5-1620v4, 64GB ECC RAM, 18xUltrastar He12-SAS3 drives, 2x240GB SSD (OS)

MikeO

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2019, 06:21:58 am »

I always have 3 copies just in case !!

I am less worried, how do you think a 2.5"  4 Tb drive would survive

Space is going to be my problem, there will likely be no room for my big desktop

DJLegba

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2019, 08:34:20 am »

I've been running a NUC server with an external USB Toshiba 3TB drive 24/7 since late 2014. The drive does go to sleep after 20 minutes of inactivity. I keep a backup on another external drive (offline most of the time), but so far the Toshiba isn't showing any signs of trouble.

I would recommend against plugging the drive into the router. I tried that with two different routers and the transfer rate was just too slow.

MikeO

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2019, 08:36:59 am »

Thanks , that sounds favorable, did you consider an internal drive at all , it would be more compact but maybe run hotter

DJLegba

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2019, 08:56:10 am »

The equipment is in my basement, so the ambient temperature never gets too high. I didn't consider an internal drive other than the SSD for the OS. I use it for music only, so I have only 4GB of RAM and left the other slot empty. In all this time I've only noticed the NUC's fan running once.

MikeO

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2019, 08:57:46 am »

Thanks again
Pages: [1]   Go Up