INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Music Videos different names shown in MC25 compared to Windows explorer  (Read 499 times)

mirskid

• Recent member

Hi

I have MC25 and imported all my music video library (about 8TB), all MP4 files.
When I see the files in MC25 panel many files are displayed as a number or incomplete names but in Windows explorer is displayed correctly with Band and song name or number and song name.
Why is MC25 not showing the same name of the video file as is in Windows?
How can I fix this?
I have try rename some files as test but the problem persists.
Will appreciate any help provided.

Regards

Scobie

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Looking Busy

What is displayed in MC is the Tag, not the Windows filename. Double check the Tags of the videos to see if they align, the videos may have different metadata.

Also have a look at the topic on the Wiki, its a very powerful part of MC.

https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Tagging

wer

Windows Explorer is showing you file names.

MC is showing you the tags inside the file, for example the [Name] tag.  These are totally independent of the file name.  If you right click on the header row of one of your view listings, you will see other fields you can display.  Select the [Filename] field to see what Explorer shows you.

It sounds like some of your files are missing tags, or improperly tagged.

You can have tags filled out automatically based on the file name when you import files.  Check the wiki for how to configure auto-import.  If you don't fill out the tags during importing, you can manually tag files using the tag pane.

[Edit: Looks like Scobie posted while I was typing]

mirskid

• Recent member

Thanks for the responses.

My problem is that I want to see on my first column just the name of the file as I edited in windows (spend a lot of time working on that)
If I sort just by the column Filename (path) it will show the whole path and some are to long to read to find a song.
In the column name is where some of the files have issues with not displaying the proper name. The examples on the wiki for tags are mainly for Audio files, with video files seams different.
I have edited in the configure Autoimport option the video folder settings to read filename (path) but nothing changes. See image 1
I will try like you mention to create the tags from the filepath name with a different tool.

Thanks,

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team

You have some options here.

One instead of looking at [Filename] you can look at the [Filename (Name)] tag, which doesn't display the path.
Or you can select one or two of your files in standard view whose name you want to change, right click on any one of them under the [Name] column, and then select Rename.
Now type in:

=[Filename (Name)]

The entry in the [Name] field will now be changed to what you have as the filename in Windows.
Once you are satisfied you understand how this works, you can select as many files as you want to change (almost) insantly.

If the result is not what you want, eg I made a typo above, you can use Ctrl-Z to undo the changes.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team

Now type in:

=[Filename (Name)]

Or perhaps:

=removeright([Filename (Name)],4)

so that the file extension is removed.

Or just try using the "Fill properties from filename" in either Automatic or Template mode, since that is what it is designed for.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

mirskid

• Recent member

Thanks both of you.
Will test it out this week to see how it goes.
Really appreciate it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up