INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRemote and mesh network  (Read 907 times)

kevinmcdonough

• Recent member
JRemote and mesh network
« on: August 02, 2019, 05:49:04 am »

Hey.

I work as a sound engineer and use JRiver to playback test tracks on PA systems I'm setting up, and background music between acts and things.

During setup, it's super handy to be able to use JRemote on my ipad and change tracks as I walk about the venue listening to thing, and have had this working for quite a few years now. The laptop and the ipad both connect wirelessly to the access point and talk to each other fine, everything runs on static ips and it's worked well for a long time.

However in order to get better coverage in large venues, rather than just a single access point I've recently changed over to a unifi mesh network setup, with an Access point at the mixing desk end out in the audience, and one at the stage end, both running into a network switch and acting as one big network.

When the ipad and laptop are both connected to the same AP, it still all connects and works fine as it always has. However when I go walkies and the ipad switches over to the other AP, it stops being able to connect to JRiver. It should all work as one big network, and other apps in the system (for example the one that lets the ipad connect to the digital mixing desk) work fine so I'm fairly sure the access point and mesh system is working. Just seems to be JRiver that has an issue.

Anyone experienced this before, or have any ideas?

Thanks, Kev

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: JRemote and mesh network
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2019, 09:33:53 am »

Is the IP address of the Mac staying the same?
There shouldn't be an issue connecting if that's the case.
JRemote doesn't use SSDP or I'd advise you to check for multicast filtering on your mesh network.

DJLegba

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2019, 09:42:15 am »

I use a Google mesh network, and JRemote stays connected when the access point changes.

kevinmcdonough

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2019, 09:17:16 am »

hey

thank you for your replies guys.

I connecting the PC laptop that JRiver is playing on into the network switch using a wired connection, and it worked fine again no matter what access point I was connected to. Returning it to wireless, back to the same issue of the ipad losing connection when it was on a different access point. This also happened with another program I tried, confirming what you guys said in that its something to do with the network set up itself and not JRiver specifically.

Kev
Pages: [1]   Go Up