INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Airport Express  (Read 1538 times)

manniesm

• Recent member
Airport Express
« on: July 31, 2019, 01:03:40 am »

In the middle of trial, don't understand how to stream to Airport Express.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Airport Express
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2019, 02:19:26 am »

You are using MC on a Windows PC and want to stream audio to an Airport Express, and use the audio out on it?

MC for Windows outputs to an attached audio device, or a networked DLNA device. Can Windows stream to the Airport Express? Does Windows see the Airport Express as an audio device? There is no mention of DLNA on the Wikipedia page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AirPort_Express

You can use utilities as mentioned on that page. That gets over the issue of Apple proprietary technology and DRM, I think.

But I don't use Apple products anymore, and don't have an Airport Express. I only answered because this is the third time you have asked the same question. I guess nobody else knows either.

If no one else answers, I think Google is your friend. Any answers explaining how to stream audio fro Windows to an Airport Express would probably be applicable to JRiver MC.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

tij

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2019, 07:07:22 am »

Airport Express can act as a Airplay receiver (so can AppleTV … except AppleTV plays in 48kHZ … while Airport Express can do 44.1kHz)

Easiest way is to use iOS remote (like JRemote or MO4 Media) … there will be icon that let you choose which device you want to play to … your Airport Express should appear there (if you set it up correctly) … choose it and audio will be routed to Airport Express via Airplay

to rout audio from MC on PC/Mac to Airport Express, you need WDM driver that can route audio via Airplay (TuneBlade or Rogue Amoeba)  … not free … but Rogue Amoeba can rout audio to multiple Airplay receivers in sync

Its pity Airport Express is dead … it received firmware that made it Airplay2 compatible … so could have done whole house audio in sync without third party WDM drivers … shame as DAC in Airport Express is not too bad and their TOSHLINK jitter was way better than average
HTPC: Win11 Pro, MC: latest 31(64b), NV Driver: v425.31, CPU: i9-12900K, 32GB RAM, GeForce: 2080ti
Screen: LG 2016 E6
NAS: FreeNAS 11.1, SuperMicro SSG-5048R-E1CR36L, E5-1620v4, 64GB ECC RAM, 18xUltrastar He12-SAS3 drives, 2x240GB SSD (OS)

blgentry

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2019, 08:13:02 am »

In summary:

MC can not speak directly to an AirPort Express.  It needs a third party utility and some extra configuration.  It's not exactly a recommended supported device with MC.

I myself was VERY surprised when I first learned this as I expected all of this stuff to just work together.  But alas the most popular devices:  Apple Airplay, Google ChromeCast, and Sonos are all either unsupported or have iffy support (Sonos via DLNA).  The others require third party programs and special configuration and have special considerations.  This isn't exactly JRiver's fault.  It's more a consequence of these devices using proprietary protocols (network languages) that are not standard.  MC does speak to almost anything that speaks DLNA (a somewhat standardized network audio protocol).

Brian.

manniesm

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2019, 04:09:27 pm »

Thanks to all who answered.  Obviously iTunes connects directly.  JR looks a lot better, but iTunes is adequate, so I'll probably stay with it.

tij

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2019, 06:51:53 am »

Since You using iTunes ... I guess you have iOS devices (iPad or iPhones or iPod touch) ... control app for JRiver on those (JRemote or MO 4Media) can play to airport express directly

Unless you want to play from your PC ... which is darn inconvenient for daily use ... airport express can accept 16/44.1 maximum ... and iOS devices can handle those ... so don’t see need to play from PC for background music
HTPC: Win11 Pro, MC: latest 31(64b), NV Driver: v425.31, CPU: i9-12900K, 32GB RAM, GeForce: 2080ti
Screen: LG 2016 E6
NAS: FreeNAS 11.1, SuperMicro SSG-5048R-E1CR36L, E5-1620v4, 64GB ECC RAM, 18xUltrastar He12-SAS3 drives, 2x240GB SSD (OS)

manniesm

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2019, 05:26:27 am »

I already had Airfoil 3 and questioning Rogue Amoeba brought the answer.  Upgrade to Airfoil 5 for $15 - it picked up JRiver right away - works!
Pages: [1]   Go Up