INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Volume Slider Does Not Work  (Read 1023 times)

smarsquid

• nothing more to say...
Volume Slider Does Not Work
« on: May 11, 2003, 08:50:37 am »

I'm using Media Center 9.0.170 in Windows 2000 Professional (SP3).

Volume slider fails to adjust volume regardless of the settings I use. The sound card is an older Creative ISA 16-bit sound card. All other media management programs (Media Player, MusicMatch, etc.) work fine with the sound card. This is absolutely a Media Center specific problem. Any ideas?

whoeveryouare

• nothing more to say...
Re: Volume Slider Does Not Work
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2003, 09:03:29 am »

Not sure if this will help whatsoever, but...

Open the sound control applet (Start > Run > sndvol32 > OK).  If "Master" isn't displayed, display it (Options > Properties > Playback > Select mixer device > Master > OK).  Then, move the volume slider in MC9.  Does the Master slider in the sound control applet move?

smarsquid

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2003, 09:17:11 am »

I checked it, and the Media Cente volume slider does not have an effect on the Windows Mixer Master Volume slider.

whoeveryouare

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2003, 10:33:48 am »

This would seem to indicate that MC9 is using the wrong device.  In MC9, go to Tools > Options > Playback > Settings and change the selection.  I would expect "Primary Sound Driver" to work, but I guess whatever is selected already, select something else (how's that for technical?).

I'm not sure if the "Mode" under Tools > Options > Playback would matter as well.  I'm more familiar with how Winamp handles its output than MC9, but Wave Out may work differently than DirectSound.

(And with that, I guess I'll shutup and let more knowledgable people take over...  Anyway, I hope that helps.)

smarsquid

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2003, 11:01:31 am »

I've already tried every combination of settings on the playback options. No luck.

Like I said, this is an MC9 specific problem with this particular sound card. The onboard audio chipset that I have (but don't use, and don't want to have to use) indeed works in MC9.

smarsquid

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2003, 11:51:48 am »

I got to thinking (finally) after my last post, and decided to disable my onboard sound through the system BIOS. That fixes the problem - now I can slide the audio up and down on my add-in sound card.
Pages: [1]   Go Up