INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Implement DSP Tag per song as an override to current DSP settings  (Read 1233 times)

MazingerZ

• Recent member

Is it possible to implement the DSP tag per song as an "Override" ?

For example,  my currently loaded (default) DSP has these two settings:
   Output: JRRS mixing of 2 channel to 5.1
        EQ:  Slight bass and treble boost

And I want to apply a DSP tag per song to override (replace) certain setting(s) on the above currently selected settings,  but keep the other default/selected "global" settings above.

Examples:
If I have a song which has too much bass,  then I select DSP setting for that song which has an EQ setting to lower the bass (and no other settings selected).

Or if I have a 2-channel song that I prefer to listen in stereo or the JRRS upmixing doesn't work well,  then I apply a DSP which only has an "Output" setting,  which outputs 2 channels/stereo.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Implement DSP Tag per song as an override to current DSP settings
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2019, 12:43:59 am »

The DSP field enables that capability. Any track which has a value in the DSP field which matches a predefined "DSP Preset" will use that DSP Preset for playback.

The downside, which I think still exists, is that this functionality will change the DSP settings to the Preset for the track, but won't switch the DSP settings back to a default, or what was set before the track. You can get around that by settign all tracks to a default DSP Preset, and only changing that by exception. You can also use a DSP Preset in a Zone, and then using Zoneswitch to switch to the Zone for that track, and back again later. I think that works fine, but I haven't done it.

DSP Presets are created by saving DSP settings using the "Load/Save" function in the bottom right of the DSP dialogue. Set what you want, save it with a name, enter that value into the DSP field for the track. Done, in its simplest form. Then add your default DSP settings Preset to all other tracks for which you don't want to use the special DSP Preset.

A search of the forum for "DSP field" will find a few threads on the topic.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

wer

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2019, 01:09:08 am »

Yeah, it's a critical drawback to the per-file DSP that it's not implemented as an override; in other words that there's no "default" DSP setting that MC reverts back to when it encounters a file without the DSP flag.

As Roderick mentions, you then have to tag every file in your library with a DSP setting, which in turn means if you ever want to change your "default" DSP sound, you then have to RE-tag every file.  Has terrible implications for backup and archiving.

An easy to execute alternative implementation was suggested years ago, but it was not accepted.

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2019, 02:41:53 am »

Managing multiple DSP profiles is also quite painful as the entire config is saved separately as opposed to a delta from the base.

For example if you want to tweak some room correction setup and then have to propagate that through n profiles, you have an extremely tedious manual job in front of you. I don't know how this would work for multiple clients either (i.e. distinguishing between physical zone specific settings and content specific).

It would be nice to see the way DSP is configured and applied overhauled to make it useable for these cases.

MazingerZ

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2019, 07:06:18 am »

mattkhan,

Your example is a good use case for my suggestion.
That is,   if you want to apply a DSP to a song,   it does not make sense to include  Room Correction to the song.

As per my suggestion, I would like to use the the Room Correction from the current DSP selected.
And apply some DSP to the song.
I believe this would be simple to implement, and does not require a major overhaul and it would not impact or interfere with other MC functionalities.

And if the MC team decides to overhaul the the entire DSP functionality,  having some DSP settings per song in conjunction with a default / environment DSP setting will still be useful.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2019, 09:56:32 am »

Why can't you just have Room Correction values saved into all your presets that are the same?  Then you could switch presets and it wouldn't change room correction.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

blgentry

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2019, 10:15:22 am »

I think I've suggested this before:

Per song DSP would work best as an extra part of the DSP Studio.  When a song has a preset selected, it would activate that preset in the "per song" area of DSP Studio.  So it's an addition or a "tweak" which is really what I think most people are looking for in per song DSP.

This solves the problem of having to apply per song DSP to every song.  Instead, you just apply it where you want it and the tweak gets applied.  Then it's gone on the next song if it's not applied to that song.  Simple.

I guess the real question is, how many customers want to use it for a tweak, versus how many want to make fundamental changes on a per song basis?

Brian.

wer

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2019, 01:24:25 pm »

Brian, you and I are suggesting exactly the same thing, and there's an easy way to implement it, as I proposed previously:

When JRiver added per file DSP, it was a huge advance, and the customers were very grateful.

But there has always been an issue with the implementation that kept a lot of people from using it....

I propose a small and easy change:

Add an option "Use default DSP setting when DSP field is empty..." with entry to select either "Do Nothing" or to pick an existing DSP preset.

When the DSP tag is read at playback, this option can be honored accordingly.  The Do Nothing setting would preserve current behavior.  Selecting a preset would provide for a global default.

This is such a small change, and would help so many people, without causing any further ripple effect.  Could this please be done?  It's too easy!

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2019, 01:40:01 pm »

Why can't you just have Room Correction values saved into all your presets that are the same?  Then you could switch presets and it wouldn't change room correction.
You can but the time taken scales linearly with the no of presets to apply, this is what I meant by my earlier post. It is technically possible but the user experience is terrible and time consuming. Take beq as an example, it is literally one preset per film for your entire library. 00s of presets to manage!

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2019, 02:49:04 am »

Also note you have to multiply the above by the no of physical locations you want to play back to (each of which have their own room/dsp config)

MazingerZ

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2019, 05:37:08 am »

mattkhan,

Is your proposal:
"Use the song DSP (if it has one)
   OR
Use the global/default DSP" ?

But as I mentioned,  Room Correction does not belong in a song DSP.
It's for the room/speakers.

So I want to use the Room Correction from the global/default DSP.
    AND
The EQ tweak in my song DSP (if it has one).
Pages: [1]   Go Up