INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: nfo from Tiny Media Manager doesnt read in JR  (Read 3436 times)

murray

• Citizen of the Universe
nfo from Tiny Media Manager doesnt read in JR
« on: August 05, 2019, 01:06:24 am »

I have used Tiny Media Manager for all my 1500+ ripped BDs for years and JR reads all the posters and fanart, stars/director etc etc.but doesnt select the plot/synopsis which Tiny gives me as an nfo file. . The only way I can get it is to manually download Movie/TV info from JR which gives me a JRsidecar.xml file. How can I get JR to take the nfo file from TMM?

Ive even tried to set JR up to automatically give me the plot xml file and turn off the nfo file from Tiny since I cant get it to work, but the xml from JR doesnt update automatically. I thought if I keep my Tiny working just for poster/fanart and JR for the plot I would be happy, but I cant seem to combine them....

However my pref is to have the poster, fanart, director, info etc and plot all from Tiny.

Thanks is advance...

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: nfo from Tiny Media Manager doesnt read in JR
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2019, 08:00:39 am »

Is the nfo file just a file sitting next to the movie?  Would you be able to email an example to matt at jriver?

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

murray

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2019, 02:53:34 pm »

Hi Matt, thanks for offering to help, I will email you the nfo file. We think the problem is the nfo file is labeled <plo> where JR labels theres as <discription>. I get everything else in the nfo file, director, stars, etc etc etc but no plot, I have to add it from JR with an xml file.

murray

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2019, 12:07:27 am »

Is the nfo file just a file sitting next to the movie?  Would you be able to email an example to matt at jriver?

Thanks.
Hi Matt, did you recieve the email I sent you with the nfo file 10 hours ago? Im not sure I used your correct email?

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2019, 08:04:46 am »

Your nfo file was received.  I am looking into it.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2019, 09:50:00 am »

One way to get around this problem, of "plot" not showing, is to create a custom field.  Tools > Options > Library & Folders > Manage Library Fields...

Click "Add New Field" and name it "plot".  Then you can do an "Library Tools > Update Library (from tags)".  The Plot field will be filled with the correct information.

It probably is a good idea for me to map <plot> directly to "Description" field though.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2019, 10:32:43 am »

By the way, you need to create "plot", not "Plot" (use lower case) in order for custom field to work.  It is just that our NFO handling uses case sensitive comparison.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2019, 10:53:23 am »

OK, this will be in the next build:

Changed: MC will load <plot> field from NFO files into "Description" field so users will not need to create a custom field "plot".

murray

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2019, 04:18:50 pm »

By the way, you need to create "plot", not "Plot" (use lower case) in order for custom field to work.  It is just that our NFO handling uses case sensitive comparison.
Thanks for the help, but I have tried this and it doesnt work for me. We actually did this before I asked the question here as we found someone else on Google who had the same issue I think in 2014 and this was the answer from someone else on the forum. However to manually move out of theatre view, go to standard view and get out a keyboard and mouse, click on "update Libary from tags" everytime one adds a new film to the Libray is a bit of a pain. But even with this method it still doesnt add the plot, it ads the director, stars, etc etc from the nfo file automatically but not the plot/discription, even clicking on update from tags the plot wont appear.... Do you have any thoughts please why its not working for me, did you do a test?

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2019, 04:58:47 pm »

Yes, I did test on my machine.  My custom "plot" field did get filled with the correct data.

With my changes today, "Description" will get filled as well.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2019, 05:02:38 pm »

If you are talking about having "plot" appearing in Theater View, then probably not.  What I meant was the custom "plot" field does get filled, but you will need to make a view for yourself to show it on screen (in standard view it is just a matter of displaying the "plot" column).

murray

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2019, 05:03:07 pm »

Yes, I did test on my machine.  My custom "plot" field did get filled with the correct data.

With my changes today, "Description" will get filled as well.
Did you place <plot> written as such in the very first small box that pops up when you want to add a new field?
Did you maually have to go to update lib tags in standard view to get the plot added after?

I wonder whats wrong my end, have I done something wrong....?

murray

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2019, 05:05:32 pm »

If you are talking about having "plot" appearing in Theater View, then probably not.  What I meant was the custom "plot" field does get filled, but you will need to make a view for yourself to show it on screen (in standard view it is just a matter of displaying the "plot" column).
Are you saying the plot will never apprear in theatre view and only in standard?
It does show in thatrte view if you use JR xml sidcar file...

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2019, 05:06:57 pm »

Did you place <plot> written as such in the very first small box that pops up when you want to add a new field?
Did you maually have to go to update lib tags in standard view to get the plot added after?

I wonder whats wrong my end, have I done something wrong....?

Type in plot, not <plot>.  Angle bracket is not part of the field name.

Yes you have to Update Library (from tags), or re-import.  But once the "plot" field is created, all future imports will have it filled.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2019, 05:12:59 pm »

Are you saying the plot will never apprear in theatre view and only in standard?
It does show in thatrte view if you use JR xml sidcar file...

I believe Theater View only pulls data from certain fields and display them.  "plot" likely is not one of them since it is not a standard field.  I think there are also ways for users to customize Theater View so it will display data from fields of the users' choice.  For this particular matter, however, it would be easier to just wait for a new build.  <plot> data will be placed in "Description" which will be displayed in Theater View.

murray

« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2019, 12:32:29 am »

I believe Theater View only pulls data from certain fields and display them.  "plot" likely is not one of them since it is not a standard field.  I think there are also ways for users to customize Theater View so it will display data from fields of the users' choice.  For this particular matter, however, it would be easier to just wait for a new build.  <plot> data will be placed in "Description" which will be displayed in Theater View.

We renamed <plot> to plot and still "update lib from tags" would not add the plot from the nfo file, we have been trying this for two days. I have no idea why it works for you but never for us, something is wrong somewhere.... So it looks like all we can do is wait for the update from you...

Ok so this sounds like when "you" add <plot> to Discription section, then JR will update the nfo file with its plot automatically when it updates from auto scape when the PC is turned on. Do I have this correct?

When will we know that there is an update of plot added to Discription, how do we hear about it?

Thanks for all your help....

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2019, 08:45:57 am »

We renamed <plot> to plot and still "update lib from tags" would not add the plot from the nfo file, we have been trying this for two days. I have no idea why it works for you but never for us, something is wrong somewhere.... So it looks like all we can do is wait for the update from you...

If I understand you correctly, you can not see "plot" field with correct data in it even in Standard View. 

I am not sure whether you need to delete "<plot>" and create a new one named "plot".  If that was not what you did, try deleting the old one and creating a new one, just in case re-naming does not work.

Ok so this sounds like when "you" add <plot> to Discription section, then JR will update the nfo file with its plot automatically when it updates from auto scape when the PC is turned on. Do I have this correct?

No, MC will not automatically update the "Description" field upon start up, you will still need to do an "Update Library (from tags)" on videos that are already in the library after you installed the new version.

MC will read from <plot> in the nfo file and place the data into "Description" field when importing or updating a video.  "Description" is one of the fields that default Theater View setup uses to display information.

When will we know that there is an update of plot added to Discription, how do we hear about it?

Thanks for all your help....

Just check the top of this forum ("JRiver Media Center 25 for Windows") for a post titled "JRiver Media Center 25.0.89 for Windows - Available here" (or any version higher than 89).

Alternatively, you can go to Help > Update Channels, and change your setting from "Stable (recommended)" to "Latest (maybe less stable)", and make sure you do not choose "Disable Automatic Update (not recommended)".  This way the update will be pushed to you.  You can switch back to "Stable" after you obtain this particular update (89 or higher).

murray

« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2019, 03:00:58 pm »

If I understand you correctly, you can not see "plot" field with correct data in it even in Standard View. 

I am not sure whether you need to delete "<plot>" and create a new one named "plot".  If that was not what you did, try deleting the old one and creating a new one, just in case re-naming does not work.

Yes that is correct, I can never see the plot/discription of the film in theatre view or standard view after clicking on update lib from tags.

I have deleted "plot" using the delete button many many many times and relabeled different ways and still it wont update and show the plot/discription of the film in standard or theatre view. Ive tried plot, Plot, <plot> gonge back to plot and it never works, the only one I never tried is "plot"

I cant understand why it works for you but not me, its frustrating!

I want to use Tiny as it allows me to select the poster eaily as i always want the original theatrical posters showing the stars, director etc etc... JR scraper only comes up with the simple poster with image and title. The posters I want are the originals that were used in the cinemas, tiny pops up all those posters in one go and you can select the one you want and your own fanart, its very nice.....

I would love to just use the JR scraper and do away with Tiny but JR doesnt make it easy to do what i want  :'(

Moe

• MC Beta Team
  • Hi
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2019, 03:10:53 pm »

tiny pops up all those posters in one go and you can select the one you want and your own fanart, its very nice.....

That sounds wonderful.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2019, 07:49:25 pm »

Build 89 is out now.

I cant understand why it works for you but not me, its frustrating!

I am sorry, I have forgotten one detail that may have been the cause of this problem.  If you had made changes to any field of a video, MC will save to JRiver sidecar file.  Subsequent updating / importing will only get data from the JRiver sidecar file, not from your original NFO file.  So if you made changes before you introduced "plot" field, it would not appear in the JRiver sidecar file.

You need to go to the folder that contains your videos, and find those JRiver sidecar files and delete them, while leaving the NFO files in place.  After doing that you can run "Update Library (from tags)".

The JRiver sidecar files are named in this way:

{Video File name}_{Video File extension}_JRiverSidecar.xml

murray

« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2019, 07:54:56 pm »

Build 89 is out now.

I am sorry, I have forgotten one detail that may have been the cause of this problem.  If you had made changes to any field of a video, MC will save to JRiver sidecar file.  Subsequent updating / importing will only get data from the JRiver sidecar file, not from your original NFO file.  So if you made changes before you introduced "plot" field, it would not appear in the JRiver sidecar file.

You need to go to the folder that contains your videos, and find those JRiver sidecar files and delete them, while leaving the NFO files in place.  After doing that you can run "Update Library (from tags)".

The JRiver sidecar files are named in this way:

{Video File name}_{Video File extension}_JRiverSidecar.xml
I have done exactly that many many times as tests and still it would get the plot from the nfo file.

I only have ticked in Media Import "update for external changes" do I need to have one of the JR features also ticked for it to read the plot from the nfo file?

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2019, 09:48:16 pm »

Previously I also had ticked "Get cover art", "Get movie & TV info", and "Ignore files previously removed from library" besides "Update for external changes".  It however does not really matter.  I just tried un-checking all of them except "Update for external changes".  It still works for me.

murray

« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2019, 09:55:45 pm »

Previously I also had ticked "Get cover art", "Get movie & TV info", and "Ignore files previously removed from library" besides "Update for external changes".  It however does not really matter.  I just tried un-checking all of them except "Update for external changes".  It still works for me.
Yes I too have since tried all of them ticked and gone back to just extrenal, it still never works for me....
When you make the new plot section, on the second page do you just leave that at its default settings or do you check any of those tick boxes?

I have tried it at its default with not ticking anything on that second page, plus again ticking different settings, it still will not work for me, this is a total mystry!

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2019, 10:00:49 pm »

When you make the new plot section, on the second page do you just leave that at its default settings or do you check any of those tick boxes?

I used the default settings.

murray

« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2019, 10:02:31 pm »

I used the default settings.
haha I have mine setup exactly the same, this is weird!

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2019, 10:14:01 pm »

Shooting in totally random directions now.  Have you checked that the NFO file still contains <plot>?

murray

« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2019, 10:37:42 pm »

Shooting in totally random directions now.  Have you checked that the NFO file still contains <plot>?
we sure are >:(
Plot is still there, here is one.
 <plot>A Scotland Yard undercover detective is on the trail of a saboteur who is part of a plot to set off a bomb in London. But when the detective's cover is blown, the plot begins to unravel.</plot>

murray

« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2019, 11:21:35 pm »

Build 89 is out now.

Dear Yaobing

I have to really apologise to you,
1st off I never saw your post stating you had done a fix and had a new update for plot in Description. I jumped to your longer sentence first trying to help me and only just re read everything and found your text on the update.

Now I also have another apology as I’ve just discovered I’ve been writing on the MC25 thread when my version is MC21, maybe this is why nothing is working for me.
I hope I haven’t wasted your time and Im sorry. However I own MC25 and bought it on 02/02/2019, plus I also bought JR MC 22 26/09/2016, sadly I’m still using MC21 for fear of installing the new versions in case I lost any of my settings.
I have always supported JR as I love the product so much after coming from Kodi many years ago.

As I don’t have the skills to update my version to my new MC25, I need to wait for my PC guys who is now away overseas for the next 2 months. It looks like the only way for me to get the plot into my 1500 + movies is to get across to my new MC25 and wait patiently for two months to test this plot section.

Is there any issues moving across from my old MC21 to MC25, can things not work or I lose any of my settings?

Thank you for all your help, and Im absolutely sure some others who may use Tiny here will benefit with your new update, it will just make JR another notch better than the rest!

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2019, 11:30:12 pm »

MC25 will copy settings from older versions (off the top of my head I am not sure if it will work moving from MC21 though, but I think it will).  MC25 will be installed in a separate folder and will not erase MC21.  You can install MC25, test it and make sure all settings are there.  When you are satisfied, you can then uninstall MC21.

murray

« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2019, 11:42:44 pm »

MC25 will copy settings from older versions (off the top of my head I am not sure if it will work moving from MC21 though, but I think it will).  MC25 will be installed in a separate folder and will not erase MC21.  You can install MC25, test it and make sure all settings are there.  When you are satisfied, you can then uninstall MC21.
Many thanks. After we have moved to MC25 I will report back and hopefully I too will then have "plot" working. :)

Awesome Donkey

• Administrator
  • The color of Spring...
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2019, 04:06:16 am »

You could also do a library backup in MC21 and restore it in MC25, just in case you need to (and settings don't migrate). :)

https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Library_Backup

Each major MC version is "standalone" when installed, meaning it won't interfere with previous versions installed and their settings. If settings aren't migrated over to MC25, just restore a library backup from MC21 in MC25. :)
I don't work for JRiver... I help keep the forums safe from Viagra and other sources of sketchy pharmaceuticals.

Windows 11 2023 Update (23H2) 64-bit + Ubuntu 24.04 LTS Noble Numbat 64-bit | Windows 11 2023 Update (23H2) 64-bit (Intel N305 Fanless NUC 16GB RAM/256GB NVMe SSD)
JRiver Media Center 32 (Windows + Linux) | iFi ZEN DAC 3 | Edifier R2000DB Bookshelf Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50x Headphones

murray

« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2019, 04:28:06 am »

You could also do a library backup in MC21 and restore it in MC25, just in case you need to (and settings don't migrate). :)

https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Library_Backup

Each major MC version is "standalone" when installed, meaning it won't interfere with previous versions installed and their settings. If settings aren't migrated over to MC25, just restore a library backup from MC21 in MC25. :)
Ok many thanks for all your help.

murray

« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2019, 12:12:27 am »

Guys I want to thank all who offered help to me, we have now moved to MC25, it took a bit but we got there. My 1500+ BDs all have the plot added now and the new films I add automatically pick up the nfo file with the plot, ecellent work, I'm over the moon!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2019, 06:33:41 am »

Thanks for letting us know!

murray

« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2019, 12:12:08 am »

Thanks for letting us know!
One last thing please.

We use MC Core Commands for everything on MC25 start, stop, fast forward, skip etc etc and all of them work except our shutdown on the PC which used to work on MC21.

We use MC Core Command 27001 as MCC_SHUTDOWN and it worked fine 90% of the time to close down the PC at the end of the night, however since we have moved to MC25 the PC will no longer shutdown with our command, can someone please help here?
Pages: [1]   Go Up