INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to Tweak View with LPs to Block CDs  (Read 912 times)

StephenJK

• Recent member
How to Tweak View with LPs to Block CDs
« on: August 06, 2019, 10:21:12 am »

I'm trying to setup views (as recently suggested) rather than using different libraries for types and styles of music.  It's going OK, using exceptions to not include certain Genres seems to be effective. 

But I have an issue with some CDs that have themselves mixed in with LPs.

I set a Rule for a 24 bit depth which sorts out most of them. 

However, there are a bunch of CDs that have a (supposed) 24 bit depth, and they get mixed in with the LPs (which are all 24/96).  I looked at a way of doing this with with Modify Results, but nothing seems to be appropriate. 

I could, for example, use the recording frequency of 14.4, that would work but doesn't seem to be available.  I did try to edit the metadata so that the 24 bit on those CDs would be 16, but that doesn't seem to be an option with any tag editor.

Any suggestions?

~OHM~

• Citizen of the Universe
  • "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
Re: How to Tweak View with LPs to Block CDs
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2019, 10:24:00 am »

error
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

Moe

• MC Beta Team
  • Hi
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2019, 11:00:26 am »

How are the files stored? Do the folder names have anything like (Vinyl) in it?

You could create a new filed, something like "Source Media" and label CDs with CD and LPs with LP (or whatever) and then use that field to filter. 

StephenJK

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2019, 11:13:59 am »

Yes, the folders do specifically say CD or LP.  I'll try that.  Thanks for the suggestion.

StephenJK

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2019, 11:20:32 am »

How are the files stored? Do the folder names have anything like (Vinyl) in it?

You could create a new filed, something like "Source Media" and label CDs with CD and LPs with LP (or whatever) and then use that field to filter.

Actually, that was the answer to all of my problems - which was to be able to have all the music in different folders (on the drive) but all accessible within the same library.  My original request was to be able to change libraries from JRiver, with comments made that I should be able to use Views or Grouping. 

With your idea, I simply create another view and add Location to the Categories to include the drive folder.  Done.  Thanks, I've been struggling with this for some time now, and that made it all so easy.

Moe

• MC Beta Team
  • Hi
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2019, 11:28:03 am »

Glad that helped, sometimes the simple solution is the best one.

JohnT

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2019, 12:14:14 pm »

I could, for example, use the recording frequency of 14.4, that would work but doesn't seem to be available.  I did try to edit the metadata so that the 24 bit on those CDs would be 16, but that doesn't seem to be an option with any tag editor.
The recording frequency is called "Sample Rate" in Media Center so you could use the rule:
[sample rate]=[44100]

The audio characteristic tag fields like "sample rate", "bit depth", "channels", etc are not editable because they are not metadata, they are intrinsic to the audio data.  All standard CD's are 16 bit so if your CD files list as being something higher, they must have come from a high definition CD format like HDCD.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

StephenJK

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2019, 12:16:03 pm »

Yes, exactly - there aren't many CDs like that but more than I thought!  Thanks for the response - I have a couple of solutions now that seem to work well.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2019, 02:54:51 pm »

I maintain a user defined library field that can have values CD, Vinyl, mp3, High Rez, Internet Radio, DVD-A. Then I use that in defining the views. You can set the value of the field on import using conditionals, for example set it to Vinyl if the folder contains Vinyl, CD if the folder contains CD, mp3 if file type is mp3 and so on.  I also have a Smart List that searches for any track with that field blank. I check that periodically to be sure all are filed. For existing tracks, you can do a search on a given characteristic, like bitdepth =16 and sample rate = 44100 , and fill in the tag tag for those existing tracks. I use a filed name of Media Sub Type Audio, but you can use any field name that is not already used. You could also just re-purpose an existing tag if there is one that makes sense to you and that you are not going to use.

Creating your own library field is pretty straightforward - Tools - Options - Library and Folders - Manage Library Fields - Add New Field.

Once you can your own custom field you treat it like any other tag.

I also use the field name in Thumbnail Text to specify non-CD albums, like for Vinyl rips or Hi- Rez.  That makes it easy to identify the source when doing views with mixed source types.  I have an All Vinyl view and then, for example for Jazz, I list everything but have a line of Thumbnail Text specifically for Vinyl to differentiate that in the general list.

StephenJK

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2019, 05:43:59 pm »

I’m not sure if I need to develop custom fields but your description certainly encourages me to do so. 

Thanks to all for your support.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2019, 08:50:09 pm »

It seems complicated, but give it a try. MC has great capabilities although they can be a little complicated. The more you learn about those capabilities the more you can customize your experience.

Enjoy.

EdBrady

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2019, 10:57:37 pm »

I just put the format in the album title in parentheses if it's something other than CD or download. Not very sophisticated, but works great for my purposes.
Pages: [1]   Go Up