INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Computer - Library Import Failed for Most of my Files  (Read 767 times)

sixrivers

• Recent member
New Computer - Library Import Failed for Most of my Files
« on: August 08, 2019, 01:22:48 pm »

Hello All.

My computer recently died, so I transferred my files over to a newly installed system on another computer (Windows 7 Pro).  I completely copied my library of files from an internal hard drive to an external drive.  There was no change in the folder structure.  The drive letter did change.  I imported my most recent library into Media Center (25.0.89) and used the library tools to change the drive letter.  Many of the files were correctly recognized and populated my playlists.  But about two thirds of my files were not recognized.  I checked the path that was listed and it matched my actual file location in every case I checked.  I tried to do an auto import and it found all the files, but it removed the previously unknown files and decimated my play lists.

Another confusing item.  Many of my Smart Playlists are not populated.  I check the edit function and the rules are still there.  But even when I refresh the playlist, it remains empty.  I checked my directory and the files are properly named and rated, so there should not be a problem.

Another problem.  When I select on a folder with many sub-folders [under drives and devices], it takes 5 minutes or more to display or sometimes will never actually display ANY of the files.  It just shows that it is working.  Previously, it was very quick to display the files.

I have tried to clear the library and re-import, but I run into the same problems with numerous files showing as "could not be found."  I am at a loss for what is happening.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: New Computer - Library Import Failed for Most of my Files
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2019, 01:25:57 pm »

The wiki has a topic called "Moving Files".

sixrivers

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2019, 09:19:26 pm »

Still having the same trouble.  I followed the tips on that procedure best I could (It was designed for a planned transfer, not a recovery.)  I recopied the files and re-imported the library file.  No luck. 

Is my only option to manually rebuild all of my playlists?

wer

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2019, 10:01:50 pm »

As any part of your procedure, did you actually do a Library Restore inside JRiver?  You refer to "importing" but that means something different.

If you have enabled auto-import to run in the background, that can complicate things while you are trying to fix this.  Don't allow auto-import to run, automatically or manually, until you have fixed your situation.

I think, but am not 100% sure (not going to try it on my own library) that if files are auto-deleted from the library due to broken links, their entries in playlists are also deleted.  In which case, the only way to get them back is a library restore.

There have been good tutorials (written by Roderick, I believe) about moving files in similar situations.  Very briefly, what it sounds like would correct your situation is this:
1. Library restore of a good library (select both Library and Settings when restoring)
2. Turn off auto import
3. Since Auto-import might have run while you were messing about, restore the same library again, but select ONLY "Restore library and playlists" and do NOT check "Restore settings".  This will again repopulate your library and playlists, albeit with broken links.
4. Use Rename, Move and Copy files, selecting the "Update database..." option, and fix the paths to your broken files.

See this link for more info: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Rename,_Move,_and_Copy_Files

5. Verify your links are now good, before re-enabling auto import.

You can check for broken links by creating a smartlist called "Broken Links" with the following as a rule of type Custom:
[=ismissing([filename])]=1

Let us know if you can see daylight from that hole you're in.  :)

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2019, 11:04:48 pm »

I think, but am not 100% sure (not going to try it on my own library) that if files are auto-deleted from the library due to broken links, their entries in playlists are also deleted.

Correct.  ;)
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

sixrivers

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2019, 12:13:58 pm »

Thanks for those additional tips.  I will go through them today.

But another point that is befuddling me.  Last night I tried to rebuild a few of the playlists:

1)  I rebuilt a standard playlist and dragged the files into it that matched the similar playlist with the same files (broken links with red circle icon.)  The new playlist worked fine and files all appeared connected.

2)  I created a smart playlist that matched one with broken links.  It pulled in all the same files, but they all have broken links.  So, it found the files through the search, but cannot play the songs due to broken links.

Just a few more bread crumbs on my journey.  I'll let you know how things go once I go through your new tips.  Thanks for helping me through this.

blgentry

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2019, 01:20:44 pm »

I suspect that something is strange with your external drive.  You said it takes 5 minutes to browse this drive using "drives and devices".  How about using Explorer (windows file browsing tool) ?

Wer has given you good advice for the proper procedure to follow.  If you still have broken links after this, you should carefully examine the exact path and compare it to what you see on disk.

Provide a screen shot or two for us so we can see what you see with the exact paths of the broken files.

Hopefully you won't have any more broken links after your next attempt.

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up